posting air rifles

cat amongst the pigeons

just a few questions... :good:

1.is it legal to post it straight to the buyer or do you have to go through RFD?

2.how much roughly does it cost?

3.are there any precautions, should it be tracked and insured etc

thanks

Hey,

Suprised no one has replied.

It is legal.

Depends on weight but roughly 10-20 "parcel force is the cheapest".

no precautions but if it a expensive rifle the you should send it recorded or tracked.

shame people could not reply

Yes, I second that it is legal if you are a private seller and the rifle is less than 12 ft/lb.

However, Royal Mail say it's against their rules to post air rifles and / or compressed air. If it's a PCP you should probably bleed the air out as long as this won't damage the valve in transit (check with manufacturer). I have sent rifles in the post (very well wrapped) and I just added extra insurance for a small fee to cover against damage although they probably wouldn't pay up when they learn it was an airgun! Daystate recommended removing the action from my stock as this can prevent the wood snapping. Lots of bubble wrap and strong cardboard box. I would refrain from sending pellets in the same package too as anyone getting their hands on it will be ready to just start firing. Oh and maybe wipe your finger prints off it in case some numpty does something naughty with it (if you're feeling a bit paranoid).

if posting air rifles is legal could you have them posted from other countries ie buy one from a shop abroad and they post it? and what about taking it on a plane not as hand luggage obviously :good: (girlfriends mum and dad live in ireland plenty of land)

Posting between countries is a whole different ball game. I once sold a crosman air pistol (6ft/lb) to a chap in The Republic of Ireland. I had my doubts over the legality of sending it and found out that I'd be breaking the law if I sent it! They need a licence over there and you either have to arrange it through the police or have a licenced person to take it over. If in any doubt, call the Guarda - they are very helpful.

Edited by airssassin

Sending to other country's is fine as I got a rifle from germany before.

Above poster is right as ireland has to have license for any gun or airgun.

If getting a rifle like I did from germany,the situation was this,germany's limit is 6ft on a air rifle and our's is 12 so no prob's but custom's can grab it and check it "i never had this problem"but i know member's have and it will take a few month to get back.

with regard's to you posting out,you need to know there law and make sure you obide by it as like above post you may be breaking the law,I doubt they would do you for it though as it is legal in this country.

Basicly you can send and receive threw country's providing you obide by the law's.

Importing to uk can be hard and easy,as importin a co2 cp99/88 they will seize it and tell you they think it is a section 1 or what ever fire arm,but in reality it is co2 so you would contact them and explain and then they would release it or ask you to come get it.

carrying on plane depend's on what it is and i believe they have to be in lock approved gun cases "napier sell them".

that is how people go africa and stuff with there guns.

post about guns and planes in fire arms section as i know there is big game hunters on here who will have exact answers for you.

ATB

To clear up any confusion on this subject, caused by Post Office staff thinking Royal Mail has discretion on whether it has to carry airguns, please note that the RM regulator Postcomm ruled clearly in our favour in June 2005.

Royal Mail is stuck with this decision like it or not. They must carry legal airguns, properly packaged, as long as they meet the size requirements of parcels and Special Delivery.

The Postcomm press release is HERE and the full ruling is HERE

It makes sense that we do our bit to make sure all Postmasters, counter staff and so on are aware of the decision if challenged when trying to post an airgun. Print out the press release if it helps and take it with you.

We should also take care to wrap air rifles very securely, in bubble wrap, stout boxes and with lots of parcel tape, to minimise the chances of the contents spilling out when being rough-handled and causing an "incident". The RM bosses would probably like more of these "incidents" since they support their anti-gun stance.

NOTE: Although a subsidiary of Royal Mail, for some reason Parcelforce is exempt from the Postcomm ruling and so its ban on carrying airguns by non-account holders is apparently lawful.