rabbit snaring

dogmatic

hi i have got permision to snare on some land. i have layed 30 snares down. and i not caught one yet. i place the snare on the small beats on the stright runs. the setting hight is 6.1/2 -9 inches high. and i check them very morning and if theirs nothing their i place them else where. now the question is should i leave them for another day? or keep moving them around until i get the rabbits. its been one week now and still nothing and the farmer keeps saying that their are loads on his land thats way he let me snare on his land. and i am not getting any rabbits. i am useing 6 strand brass wire snares. their has not been any knocked or any near misses. what can i do to start catching the rabbits and start to keep the farmer happy. :angry:

If the area is heavily popuated have you tried waiting and watching to see what happens (before it gets too dark)?

only if there are loads as it could be time consuming!

will he not let you shoot them or does that not interest you?

only tried snaring once but lost patience as nobody taught me how to do it properly and i prefer to shoot.

If you are using brass snares-are they new? if so then you need to bring them home and then leave them outside to weather for a few weeks because they shine when new-or you could try dipping them in vinegar then rinsing them clean.The bottom of the snare needs to be about 3 inches from the ground and the loop should fit loosely around the average fist.If after trying this you havnt caught any then theres probably none there! p.s. you need to cover ALL the runs-if you dont have enough wires then set the snares over the most heavily used runs and urinate on the others-the strong scent normally drives them to other routes.

Sound's like your doing everything right i leave mine down 3 days if im no catching move them on ,Three days is long enough to find the rabbits and long enough for foxy to find a snare full of rabbitand start empting them . Try putting a lamp round the ground at night that will give you a true indication of rabbit numbers mate