Reloading Sub-sonic.

As far as I know, Subsonic Shotgun cartridges have a different mix of powder, to make them burn less (hence, shot goes under the sound barrier).

I was wondering how easy it would be to produce you're own subsonic .410 cartridges, as I'm paying £6 a box at the moment, and I feel sure it could be done cheaper.

Hi . Have you reloaded shot shell cartridges before? :birthday: If you have you will know it makes sense to reload .410 because of the high initial cost per box, if not check out Ian Charlton at Clay Game Reloaders www.claygame.co.uk an excelent place for or your reloading components, equipment and data. :birthday:

Subsonic is below the speed of sound and is a term used when a cartridge is around 1000fps still makes a bang though and can still have some kick. With moderated rifles you do not get the bang with subsonic ammo but will with supersonic through moderator. tends to be used in shotguns to reduce sonic crack where noise pollution is a problem. several ways to reduce speed, less powder, weak crimp, weak seals. reducing powder but making it harder for the pressure to release can cause problems so stick to tried and tested formulas for safe pressures. Primer brissance, powder burn speed and load weight all contribute to a safe or unsafe load for the gun you use.

Gerry