Recall

darren m

lads i need some tips or tricks on getting the perfect recall for my ESS.

i know shes only young 21 weeks now , but this is getting me down .

she's coming on ok in most things , but getting her to recall into me is just not happening .

most of the time she,ll duck away from me at the last second or not come in at all , i,d like to let her off the lead when out ( in the paddock ) but i,m afraid i might loose her :good:

i think she thinks its a great game to play , which to a pup i suppose it is , but how can i get her to take this more seriously.

cheers

I would imagine you have the pup associated with the whistle, first bit of advice - never chase the pup if it doesn't come back, second bit of advice, perfect the stop whistle command, then work on the recall.

If you can stop your dog to the whistle, the recall will come easily, one pip for stop, two pips and perhaps a hand gesture to encourage the dog to come in.

If your pup starts running away, you run in the other direction blowing the recall command (two pips), the pup will soon come after you, before long, the dog will associate the recall whistle command to returning to your side pronto.

There are many different ways to encourage a solid recall, but remember, if you can get the dog to stop to whistle, you are well on your way!

Totally agree with Steve,s answer!! Sometimes it pays to take her to an area she doesnt know ,and hide behind a tree for a while to make her look for you . At the baby age she is still ,she wont be long in looking for you !

Keep at it ,its great fun and the rewards are magic :good:

Tricky one recall - REALLY hairy with some dogs. Have you got the dog to a stage where if you tell it to sit it won't move until you say your release word? If not, go do that, if yes then read on.......

first up, go back to stage 1 = say nothing, grab collar, walk dog to original position, say sit

1. Get dog to sit

2. Get yummy food/fun toy, whichever your dog wants more - some are greedy, some are curious (if it moves go back to stage 1)

3. **** the dog off by waving the food/toy in around and using a stupid voice BUT MAKE SURE IT SITS STILL (if it moves go back to stage 1)

4. Run backwards away from the dog (so you can see it, and if it moves go back to stage 1)

5. Once you've got 10m stop and wait at least 5 seconds in SILENCE coz it builds the anticipation for the dog (if it moves go back to stage 1)

6. Call 'come' or use your whistle BUT HOLD THE FOOD/TOY IN FRONT OF YOU CLEARLY IN VIEW

7. When the dog is in front of you make sure it is coming for the toy/food and tell it to SIT (if it does not then go back to stage 1)

8. When dog sits facing you, give it the food/toy and make a fuss

9. REPEAT LOTS

10. Increase the distance in step 5

Eventually you can give the toy/food every 3rd time, and then later you wont even need to!

This will acheive 2 things:

a) the dog will come to you, and not **** off

:good: the dog will learn to sit in front of you as a default - further preventing it from ******* off at will

Hope that helps,

Boomstick

cheers lads -- i will carry on with the stop whistle first then.

been trying the long lead also , but i need to find a fast/strong retractable lead , the one i have is just not fast enough returning to encourage her in and she gets tangled up .

i think that may be putting her off a bit .

thanks again

I have never really used a retractable lead to train a dog to recall, jogging in the opposite direction to where the dog is running and blowing the recall command has always worked for me, just wait for the dog to start wandering off then briskly wander off in the opposite direction, the pup will soon notice you are going the other way and will come after you, use the 'double peep' on the whistle to encourage the dog to come in, repeat this at intervals during the recall but maintain a brisk walk/jog int he opposite direction to the dog, as soon as the pup is around 10 - 15 yards away and still running towards you, stop, kneel down, blow the recall command and give the dog a fuss when he/she comes right in.

Perservere with this mate, it will encourage a totally solid recall, even when the dog is out of sight later on in training. But remember, stop whislte is very important. if you can't stop your dog dead to the whislte then you will encounter huge problems later in training steady to flush etc. or stopping the dog working cover before recall.

One way of getting the dog steady to the stop whistle is to use the 'single peep' stop command with the sit command, most spaniel guys train 'hup!' as sit. Personally i just use a hand straight out over the dog, this will also encourage an instant sit when a gun comes up (a standing dog during shot is half way to running in to the shot).

Once the dog is familiar with what the stop whistle command means you can get him'her out in the field with a length of lightweight rope/cord attached to the collar, leave this running free (the retractable leads always have a certain degree of resistance and the dog knows the difference between being on a lead and running free).

When the dog starts wandering, blow the stop whistle command (single sharp peep) while holding your hand up in the air to encourage the dog to stop, if the dog doesn't stop, blow the stop command, swiftly followed by stepping on the rope to stop the dog in its tracks (obviously use common sense with this, only step on the rope if the dog isn't moving away too fast, use the run and recall command to encourage the dog back in if the dog is legging it), the instant you step on the rope the dog will look at you to see what's happened, put your hand in the air and blow the stop command. You need to make sure the dog knows that stopping dead in it's tracks is what the single peep command means. A couple of weeks of associating the single peep with your sit command will bring this on faster.

It won't take long before the dog knows what you want. Don't over do this one, and don't get worked up if it doesn't work straight away, and always finish yourt training session a positive note, everyone says that, but believe me, that's because it is vital !

I would address the reasons for her not coming to you or as you mention she is turning away at the last few yards. You mention it’s getting you down and you maybe feeling frustrated. The dog will pick up on this and be unsure of you hence her turning and arcing away . I could give you the psychology behind this scenario but I haven’t the time to type it up.

When you next practice recall sit on the ground and recall her, as she comes to you turn your head away to the side so not to make eye contact and let her come right up on to you and give praise. During this exercise you must be calm and relaxed even when things are not going well.

Remember she’s only just over 5 months and all I would concentrate on is recall, play retrieves and keeping the pup close.

I am more than prepared to meet up sometime to go over the basics with you.

Cheers

I agree with mad springer, don't over do the training, all my advice above is not an instant fix, its a gradual training method, i would say 3 months worth of work. Gradual,consistent progression.

Keep training sessions reasonably short but regular, keep it fun for the dog and you won't be dissapointed.

thanks lads - i can see where i,m going wrong now , trying too hard :good: i think.

my lab was a doddle to train :hmm: and i think i,m expecting the same.

mad - thanks for the offer , would be great to meet up with you sometime :good: be good to see a demo of what a well trained spaniel can do

will concentrate on the stop whistle command before i continue and chill out :good:

cheers

Darren

I'll take you out with some young dogs, works in progress so to speak. You will gain more from seeing them rather than a demo of a finished dog.

I will gladly demo a finished dog at some point to give you an idea of what can be acheived by putting the time in.

But firstly the offer is to see how you and your pup interact, then hopefully we can get you both going in the right direction!

Give me a call at some point to arrange a time to meet up. Details here www.spirecourt.co.uk

Cheers