Maize & Barley

Warlock

My main landowner has drilled his beans to a depth of 5 inches, this means there isn`t much shooting to be found on them. Was speaking to him today and he has drilled maize for cattle feed and has drilled some barley, never shot over these crops before, is there anything to look out for or advice on the better crop etc.

My rape fields are all too big now as he has dumped alot of nitrogen on them which is well and truly kicking on making it too big for the pigeons to land in.

Hi Warlock,

Beans maybe out of reach except for crows. Baldrick or Mersey David should be able to advise you on how much barley and maize will escape onto the surface for the pigeons to scavange. Not too much I would think with modern drilling. However, clover is very high up on the list at the moment and they do seem to decoy well onto it. If they are about, you may well fool them into landing on freshly drilled ground with your deeks. I have had success decoying onto crops that aren't on the menue, ie winter sown barley 3 inches high. They don't feed on it, but they fell for the fact my decoys were on it!!!

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Warlock ,

I would still keep an eye on your rape even if it is high. Last spring a mate and i shot a big bag over 3 foot high rape. There were the odd small lower spots and in some places the pigeons were feeding along the tramlines. As for any drilled field it usualy goes quiet a day or two after drilling , but if its dry and you get a good blow some of the soil can get blown off exposing the corn and the pigeons will soon home in on it.