shot

dapper

Ok not sure if this has been asked before, but when the pellets leave the barrel of a shot gun 12g.

How wide is it?

If you fire an actual .22 you have a bullet. But as you all know pellets are in the cartridge, so how wide?

How acurate do you have to be for example on clay shooting.. can you be a foot out 12" inches - 3 feet so on or less 2"inches out.

Does the depend on the cartridge?

Cheers

Dave

Yep that`s it generally about the diameter of the mouth, don`t forget also it`s a ball of shot that you are firing so it`s in 3 dimensions you are trying to hit the clay as you may fire and the front of the shot maybe infront of the clay but if the clay passes through the cloud of shot then you get a kill, confusing isn`t it.

The next thing dapper is going to ask is where can i do that?

To which i reply if you want to find out and fancy a trip you can use one of my fields at Canterbury to pattern it rather than finding a clay club who will probably charge you money, unless someone around Maidstone way can offer you some land for an hour.

the best way to see this is to patern your gun. fire at a large piece of paper with different chokes and at different distances to see exactly how big the pattern is.

Thats what i did when i bought a fixed choke gun because i wanted to see how it patterned with 1/2 & 3/4.I got two 3ft square sheets of stiff cardboard from work,drew round a cup in centre for something to aim at then fired at both,but top barrel at one sheet and bottom at other.At around 35yds using a 28gm 7.5-the spread was approximately 2.5ft,but it was much tighter with the 32gm 6's i use on pigeons.

A pattering plate should be just that a steel plate and should be painted with white emulsion each and every time you fire shotgun. All shots at plate should be atno more than 16yds to give true idea of where gun is shooting.No shotguns shot spreads before approx 16yds and plate is used to determine gun fit more than anything. Do not aim gun but bring to shoulder naturally and fire. You will see exactly where your gun shoots but you will need someone who knows to tell what if any alterations are needed. If you are useing multichoked gun use all chokes and diferent makes of shells and expect some surprises.

Hi Guys,

Well thanks for the replies, been rather helpful indeed.

And Yes Kevlar That would have been one of my next questions. thanks for the offer.

Might just take you up on that but that will be at a later date.

cheers lads

Dave