Costs of reloading

Several friends reload their own cases and I am tempted to have a go at it myself.

I have bought a couple of useful books on the subject "Lee,s ABC of Reloading" and "Nosler 5th ed." Which contains all the recipe,s for the different calibers etc.

Could anyone offer advice and possibly do a breakdown of actual costs of equipment and materials, i,m sure that several of us would be interested.

:good: D2D

The bullet Is the main cost when you get set up and the nosler manual is good, but keep in mind all nosler bullets are premium priced, the partitions I consider eyewateringly expensive.

When comparing costs make sure you know if the box is for 50 or 100, as it is not obvious from the price. Also prices have recently increased so old stock at old prices is now a bargain.

Cheers

AndyCM

D2D ,

Most people will start loading their own ammo as a cost saving exercise . Once you get into reloading you will realise how versatile reloading can be when you are looking for a sub M.O.A. cartridge . Its the only real way of finding that holy grail of shooting . Unless of course you are lucky enough to find a factory load that will do the job . With home loads they are allways going to be from the same batch and off the same production line . Home loads reloaded properly are allways going to be more consistantly accurate than factory loads and yes they will be cheaper once you have the brass .

You have to take into account the cost of setting up ,press ,scales,dies and componants . Depending on how many rounds you shoot a year reloading could turn out to be more expensive , but ,and a big but , you will have the satisfaction of loading your own .

Be very ,very careful as it can become all consuming .

Harnser .

What calibres do you want to load and how many rounds do you use? A lot of the kit you "need" just makes life easier if you plan to load lots of rounds. If you want a couple of hundred rounds per year for stalking/Foxing then it can be done fairly cheaply.

Hi the only cf I shoot at the moment is .223 and as you say just a few hundred a year at Fox, with the occasional foray to the local mil ranges.

I am mainly looking for a shopping list of the best bits and bobs, as found through forum members experience.

A friend recently told me about the LEE starter kit circa £100, but I really dont want to buy twice when I discover that a certain set of scales are superior etc. Therefore any help and guidence to smooth my path into homeloading would be appreciated.

Atb D2D.

.223, that's a nice easy one! for your consumables you want 52grn A-max, Benchmark powder, Lapua brass. These will get you off to a good start and with a bit of fiddling you should be able to come up with a load that will shoot a 5p with every shot at 100 yards!

PM me your address and don't buy anything yet! :innocent:

Edited by njc110381

.223, that's a nice easy one! for your consumables you want 52grn A-max, Benchmark powder, Lapua brass. These will get you off to a good start and with a bit of fiddling you should be able to come up with a load that will shoot a 5p with every shot at 100 yards!

PM me your address and don't buy anything yet! :lol:

PM sent, thanks for the info so far :D

Rgds D2D.