Pigeon Traps

consult3-009

I am plagued with fat cheeky Pigeons that keep flying into my garden & waddling round on the lawn & groud. I Trapped about four last year with a cage ,prop & pull cord job I made myself. But this is too time consuming & slow. Has anybody got any plans /instructions for a trap with auto resetting flap like a Larsen trap or similar. Would be gratefull for any other suggestions

:D Yes build a wood pen 6ft x 4ft x 2ft high ( using 2inch x 2inch wood ) cover top and 3 sides with mesh wire but leave "one end" open.cut some strong steel bars and bend them into a" n " shape like crochet posts and use staples on them to fix to the top of the open end make them the size that a pigeon can get through pushing it open with its shoulder but not wide enough to walk through also make them long enough to drop below the botton piece of wood and swing inwards. Bait inside and the pigeons will push through the "Bars" and enter but when they try to get out the "Bars" will not move/swing outwards as the bottom wood will stop it from doing so Pigeon caught and can be dispatched at your convienience. BE CAREFULL in urban areas as there are Pigeon lofts with racing pigeons and the owners will not take too kindly to you killing thier birds. BUT ********* ? YOU CAN also if you wish catch Rabbit with this method if you use steel instead of wood and steel bar the floor or as we doo here cover the floor with paving stones to stop them digging out. Larget has caught Pheasant/partridges.

I don't want to p on your chips, but I don't think the general licence allows the trapping of any birds except corvids, and only then, in approved traps.

Andy

Here's a link to one of the ENGLISH General Licences.

Gen-L05

It's important to remember that there isn't one general licence, there are severel, relating to different reasons for control (e.g. protection of wild birds, Prevention of disease, Protection of crops, Aircreft safety etc. They also differ for England, Wales, Scotland & Ireland

Here's an extract which I think shows pigeon trapping is quite legal, in the right circumstances:

2. Subject to the terms and conditions below, and for the purposes set out in paragraph (1) above, this licence permits:

(i) any authorised person to kill or take any of the wild birds listed in this subparagraph, to take, damage or destroy their nests or to take or destroy their eggs:

• Greater Canada Goose Branta canadensis
  • Crow Corvus corone
  • Dove, Collared Streptopelia decaocto
  • Gull, Great Black-backed Larus marinus
  • Gull, Lesser Black-backed Larus fuscus
  • Gull, Herring Larus argentatus
  • Jackdaw Corvus monedula
  • Jay Garrulus glandarius
  • Magpie Pica pica
  • Pigeon, Feral Columba livia
  • Rook Corvus frugilegus
  • Woodpigeon Columba palumbus

(ii) the use of a semi-automatic weapon by authorised persons acting under subparagraph (2)(i) above;

(iii) the use of a cage trap, the dimensions of which do not satisfy the requirements of section 8(1) of the Act, by authorised persons acting under subparagraph (2)(i) above;

However it is important to comply with all the conditions of the general licenses, particularly the reason for control. So fat inconvenient pigeons eating all the bird food is not sufficient justification. Large numbers of pigeons regularly roosting and causing a health hazard with their droppings, probably is.

Edited by 2nd Barrel