tomato growers

holly

We have an allotment that we took on about a month ago.

It was just thick grass and hasn't been used for about 10 years!!!

Dug 4 beads so far with beetroot, taters, asparagus, rhubarb, toms, butternut squash and pumpkins! Hope to have a few nice harvest later in the year

Oh yes!

This is the second year that we are growing them, although our plans for "seed to fruit" growing went a bit tits up thanks to a lack of seed germination. 75 no shows in all, all our seeds. So, we bought in six plants and got them in some nice kayak growbags and recycled the compost in the seed trays.

Now, several weeks on, I have tomato seedlings sprouting around my bell pepper seedlings/plants and beetroot. I'm going to get them into their own pots during the week and try and bring them on from there.

Next year, we _WILL_ have them from seed.

Oh yes

seed germination does seem a problem over the last couple of years not sure why , this year i planted 40 ish seeds for my main crop only 12 are showing had to replant which is a good month behind intended crop cucumbers however i have never bothered growing until last year and it was a waste of time (to late planting ) this year there growing like triffids

certainly do. Have two greenhouses which produce toms,melons,cucmbers,peppers,lettuce, etc.

Plus a good sized but very heavy to work veg plot. Aim to grow enough spuds to last till march, loads peas, runners, cabbage etc.

Plus a few young fruit trees.

Nothing comes close to veg cooked within a few mins of picking. :blush:

certainly do. Have two greenhouses which produce toms,melons,cucmbers,peppers,lettuce, etc.

Plus a good sized but very heavy to work veg plot. Aim to grow enough spuds to last till march, loads peas, runners, cabbage etc.

Plus a few young fruit trees.

Nothing comes close to veg cooked within a few mins of picking. :blush:

one of the best things i have grown and eaten fresh when picked is mushrooms , i bought a box thingy from garden center and grew it in the garage got 6 mushrooms first time for a cost of £5 they tasted that nice i bought another the next year (and this years already bought ) fresh grown can not be beaten on taste alone i remember as a kid having new potatoes out of the garden on a sunday (wicked)

got my veg patch down the end of the garden (my part of the garden, no one is to enter, i have my shed my veg patch and my compost heap, and soon chickens (penned, to stop them getting at my veggies)

got peas, runners, tomatos, onions and spuds growing, onions are already showing GREAT signs, and the spuds have already shooted, the runners and tomatos, are out in the conservatory at the moment to shoot, but so far no signs :blink: but heck they will im sure, its REALLY warm out in the conservatory of a day time and at night it is still warm out there, but the day its like a sauna, so i have them nice and watered every morning, because the soil dries out so quickly, and then when they have a decent shoot on them they are going in the veg patch, have grown spuds and toms before both with good results...

i agree nothing better than fresh cooked veg straight from the garden, i have to say i have always been an AVID enemy of the tomato but then when i grew these tomatos i though I KNOW ill use them in a spagetti sauce, and i have to say THEY WERE THE ONLY TOMATOS I HAVE EVER BLOODY LOVED I MEAN GOD THEY WERE GREAT...

nick name at school is the farmer (oh the joy :blush:)