12,16,20,bore,410

The amount of shot they contain. Velocity is roughly the same for all of these, so a given pellet of a particular size will have about the same energy and travel the same distance whichever of these gauges it is fired from.

However.........

The bigger the cartridge the more pellets it contains so there are fewer 'holes' in the pattern a target can hide in. Range is effectively increased with larger bores, although individual pellets won't travel any further. This is because (given the same shot size) the pattern will contain a lethal, evenly spread charge of shot at a range where a smaller bore will throw sparse patterns which may result in a miss or wounding.

Also the larger bores allow you to use bigger shot which will retain more energy over a greater distance for heavier quarry.

Not sure I've explained that brilliantly :good: But hopefully you know what I mean.

Power is nowhere near the .375H&H (I assume that's the one you mean?). The .410 has around 750ft-lbs at the muzzle (about the same as a .22 Hornet). The .375H&H is more like 5000ft-lbs!

.410s are good ratting guns, or for roost shooting. 20 and 28 bores are good light weight field guns that hit hard enough for everything but serious wildfowling and are good for kids and women. 12 bores are the jack of all trades. Great for most quarry with the right load, but a little bit too heavy and kicky for youngsters and slightly built ladies.

Funnily enough though my best ever Pigeon bag was shot with a .410 :good: