Paco Kelly Rimfire Tool.

Hammer... Live ammunition.... Confined space... :good::lol: :lol:

To me, it looks like a way of turning round nose to soft point ammunition, which would mean that if you didn't have the condition on your ticket, you would be looking at a good few years for being in possession of sect. 5 ammo.

Obviously the guy has said it's for making soft points better, but let's be honest, it's really for those who can't get SP ammo

Had a machinist friend make me one of these tools - 5.56 diameter . The punch duplicates the dimple head on eley target ammo. The slightly fatter head is tight in the chamber. So now cheaper sk pistol match perfroms like eley black box in my bench rest gun. I have altered thousands of rounds and find the tool perfectly safe

Cheers

Macca,

Perfectly put mate, many thanks for adding a post that has actually added some value instead of just being sceptical.

Harford,

From your post above do you really think that those of us using these tools haven't looked at the safety or legal aspects of using them? Give us some credit for petes sake.

From your post above do you really think that those of us using these tools haven't looked at the safety or legal aspects of using them? Give us some credit for petes sake.

I'm certainly entitled to an opinion.

I can bet you that someone somewhere will eventually misuse the device. I'm seeing someone who gets given it when a guy sells his rifles, no instruction manual and the last bit of advice is "just give it a tap with a hammer"

If you use it sensibly and legally, then good for you.

A mixture of good & "bad" replies.

The last one is certainly good.

I would of thought that anyone wanting one allready knows a fair bit about them, if passed onto someone without a clue what they are then yes, a problem.

It's all about education.

When mine goes I'll pass on as much info as I can.

Before anyone else dives in with the bloodydangerous opinion I'll just ask do a bit of research, go to Paco's website, you may well still have the same opinion & you'r welcome to it.

But at least you'll know what you'r talking about.

Leverguns site if you can't find Paco's own.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for a follow up on how this tool works for me for anyone looking into them:

My CZ452 Varmint shoots best with Eley subs - about the most expensive hollowpoint subs around. All other subsonic ammo that I tried (Remington, Lapua, CCI, RWS, and Winchester to name some) shot wider groups and often with fliers, so I tried the tool to see what results could be achieved using the same types of ammo.

All shots were taken at 75 yards off a bipod with a sandbag rest for the butt. When changing between ammo types the barrel was not cleaned or pulled through - the first groups of the next ammo type were put into an earth bank alongside the target to allow the barrel to settle to the new lubricant and lead, etc, before settling onto the targets again. The CZ is pillar bedded and a trigger kit fitted. The scope is a MTC mamba and the moddie from John Bowkett.

The Eleys were tried reshaped to .222, .223, and .224. All sizes tightened the groups up but the .224 achieved consistent cloverleaf groups of three - so that was the die used for the retesting to the other brands of ammo.

From all of the ammo tested the CCI and RWS outshot the rest easily. With the rifle propely rested both types consistently give tight cloverleaf or rounds going through the same hole (his performance even tested with shooting at an A3 sheet to double check for flyers). The rifle shoots better than I can to be honest, and I can use the cheaper ammo.

Worthy of mention was the Remington sub; very cheap and cheerful, but very accurate when taken to .224, but let down by inconsistent charges from what I saw at 75 yards. Damm good plinking ammo though!

The other aspect of this tool is that the tool gives a properly formed hollow point which is lethal on vermin - larger than the factory hollowpoint which I reckon is a bit of a compromise to feed in a variety of gun types and chambers.

Cheers.