Paco Kelly Rimfire Tool.

Have read a lot about them & other modifiers on Rimfire Central. http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259859 will give you a taste. Made my own version but not greatly impressed with results.Only two things I found interesting:enlarging hollowpoint strangely can increase accuracy & high velocity

(Velocitors)ammo showed most improvement. Overall a waste of time as I get good results with normal Eley/Winchesters but I must have been bored at the time. :good:

Talking hypothetically, surely modifying non-expanding bullets to become expanding bullets constitutes a breach of FAC conditions, if you do not have consent to acquire/use expanding rounds?

More to the point, why bother with such a ridiculous and potentially dangerous gadget?

I think it is just laughable that people in their sheds think they can make ammo more accurate or that they know better than the ammo companies who are spending 1000's on ammo development.

I understand that people enjoy developing a load for a particular rifle (although I think it is not necessary) but how many people turn their own bullets or cases?

that looks so dangerous! it looks like the gadget the slaughterman uses here when he comes to pick up an old cow, he puts a .22 round in then whaks a pin with a plank of wood!

Didnt people in the war used to saw a cross in their 303 bullets to make them expandable?? im sure my grandad was on about it

• 1 month later...

Not surprided by the comments so far.

Has anyone done any research on these before makeing comments ?

The video was a sample view about the tool.

I agree with most of the comments but can spot the havn't got a clue ones.

Just a thought but perhaps those that moan cheap ammo doesn't give good results in my gun also moan about the riseing cost of the good ammo.

Some people just nod & say oh dear, know what you mean but walk away with a smirk :rolleyes:

Has anyone resized a thunderbolt then tried it ?

These tools also resize & are custom made to the specific barrel of the customer.

:lol:

I found these tools good for learning a few things.

We all take it for granted to just buy whatever the shop has in stock, try a few different makes then state our fav' & openly rubbish dud's

Couple of hours messing around with one of these is a learning curve.

Whilst many comment on this tool, very few have even heard of it by the replies.

Paco Kelly is well respected for his knowledge of rimfire balistics & some of his tools are amazing.

Consider also they are hand made not multi CNC stuff.

Ok, so I have good words to say & also will admit to only useing one for the I'm bored, I wonder what if days.

To just openly rubbish something not seen before or at least sampled just tells me that person doesn't know everything as he/she openly admits so.

Would I trust advice from such people ??

Would you :good:?:lol:?:o?:D?:huh:?:lol:?:o??

Expert advice from some might only be what a friend of a friend of a friend put on a forum & wasn't sure anyway.

'nuff said.

• 2 weeks later...

Scarecrow,

You are spot on with what you say mate. I have the tool from Paco in the states and it works wonders - I use Eley subsonics with this, taking the bullet heads to .222 with a proper hollowpoint nose, which my CZ452 Varmint absolutely loves.

When I first tried the treated ammo it was at 75 yards and the first shot went where it was meant to, the second shot produced an elongated first hole, and the third shot no change at all. I don't think it was a dud round or a massively wide flyer, so it went through after the first two 'without touching the sides' as it were. The performance has been consistent throughout, with the only innaccuracy coming from the nut behind the butt, not the rifle or ammo.

If I go back to standard Eley subs the accuracy is still good, but nowhere near what the tool produces. The next step as Eley are the most expensive around here, is to try the tool on a more less pricey ammo such as Wincheter - if the results are good I will be able to buy a cheaper ammo and closer to home (my local RFD can't get hold of Eley subs too easily) which will be perfect for me.

The big change though, is the effect when using the 'Paco Ammo' against vermin. Previously there would be a few kickers and twitchers with rabbits, but with this ammo it is as if someone just flicks off a switch as the rabbit just drops and stays still, no follow on movement at all. I now go for a head shot much more than I used to, leaving 'centre of mass' aiming points for standing and unrested shots.

I always like to do the best I can to get a clean shot for no suffering and a far more useable rabbit at the end of the day - tightening groups consistently and increasing bullet effectiveness is easily achievable with a bog standard rifle and this tool.

Edited by Tin Man Work

• 2 weeks later...

Glad it worked for you Tin Man.

When I first heard of these I looked them up & done a bit of research, the rest is now (my) history.

Just imadgine, a few years ago in China Mrs ooothatlooksdangerousyou'llhaveyerbluddy'andoffoneday said to her son, iwonderwhathappensifidothis, don't play with those dangerous chemicals you might have an accident.

He replied to his mother yes all knowing mother, you know best because your knowledge & thoughts are based on a total lack of wisdom & your words concerning my safety must be the path to follow because all though you have no experiance or thirst for knowledge you must be correct because your words I believe to be the law of the family.

Luckily for everyone the father of the boy, LaLaLaLaIcan'thearyouLaLaLa said <&$% ^> I'm going to risk smoke & flames no matter how dangerous & enjoy the noise & colour I produce, In a land far far away there are people who one day will be glad I risked breaking a finger nail.

It might inspire others to invent earplugs so I don't have to put my fingers in my ears & sing my name out loud so I can't hear my dozy, whinging, bleating, pathetic wife.

Now where is that pea shooter my wife confiscated from IwonderwhathappensifIdothis, I have an idea.