Whats the best way to get sitters?

DanRM

Was thinking about going out the end of next week, as i have the whole week off (bit of bird watching). But last time i was decoying i had a problem with pigeons up in the trees along the opposite hegde. i had watched this field before and they were definitely feeding.

I found that the birds will go to the trees around the pattern and sit there, sometime directly above my hide and they just dont move.

I am confident in my pattern and hide as i take an old feed bag and place it in the hide and walk out to see how well i can see it, then add more grass or something like that. and it looks natural as well so the birds shouldn't be able to see me.

There has been a few times when one of the birds ventures out to my pattern and lands and stays on the edge for quite a while and i had left it to see if the others would come but still no luck.

Anyone had this problem or any advice would be great

i generally find that once they have plonked themselves in a tree for a look, they dont often come into decoys. but -they really wouldnt sit in the tree above you if they could see you (generally- i have had a time when a pigeon circled until i got back to the hide before shooting it)

i suspect once they have had chance to sit and have a good look at a decoy pattern, they can sense something is not right,

i would try and set up in between trees if possible - that way you can get a shot if they land either side of you (but that will be getting harder now the leaves are growing)

good luck

when pigeons st in tree above your pattern forget it. When pigeons drop into your decoys in two secs they know its a setup and bolt thats why you should hit them as they drop in far a look but birds above can sometimes seem like lookouts far a feeding flock so will aid your shooting.i was told this by a 35 year pigeon veteran who shoots over a thousand birds a year and his tips have helped me good look mate