Removing shot

Tobyb525

Hi, I hope this is the right section!

Tomorrow I will be shooting pigeons and rabbits with a shotgun for the first time. :good:

My question is, how much shot can I expect to be left in the meat, will it all pass through? (I normaly use air rifles so I don't have to worry as its all in the head! :blink: )

If so, Whats the best way to remove it, and will it then be safe for dogs to eat? (We tend to share the bag :good: )

Thanks,

Toby :D

Edit : I will be using 12g no.6 32g

Edited by Tobyb525

shot is quite easy to remove from meat, once the breasts have been cut off just push a thin stick through the holes or make a small cut with a sharp knife and look inside, its not too bad for a human they can normally detect a pellet with their teeth and can spit it out but a dog wont know to do that so you should really get it all out

mikee

Out of all the pigeons I've eaten, I've hardly had any shot in them. It passes quite cleanly through the breastplate and through the body. You'll notice this by looking at the pigeon's back and seeing the ruffled feathers.

If you're worried, just take note of the pigeons you shot at 35+ yards and check them when you crown them.

Oh and do look at some of the crowning videos on Youtube, they're invaluable and after practice, will take you about 20 seconds a pigeon to crown.

Good luck :good: you'll have fun

Edited by harfordwmj