SEX TALK (pregnant rabbits)

Watto

Not really, but some people say that the meat is not at its best when they are pregnant.

I try to hold off shooting when I know that there are young 'uns about. Not because I shoot so many that I need to keep the population up, but more because I don't like the idea of small bunnies starving to death down a hole.

Wookie

You can eat rabbits that are in young mate but most people are put off by it, as for the meat it's self you will probably find that when an animal is pregnant their body fat increases so the meat will have more fat in it that usual and there is a milky taste in the meat.

Yes.... they did start very early this year didnt they?

The climatic changes in recent years has really ******** our rabbit and pigeons seasons as they were in 'yesturyear'.

Always been a wee bit put off by milkies.............. its probably all in the mind.

Can remeber as a lad nailing a Hare at aroung 100 yards with my Uncles rimmy. pround as punch I ran to collect my prize, only to find it with nipples, swolen like chapel pegs, and oozing with milk. Really put me off.

In actual fact, I've haven't shot one since.

Paul in North Lincs

You'd get no shooting done at all if you worried about it too much.

I've got a shooting trip arranged for July so I expect to shoot pregnant rabbits...no avoiding it unless you only shoot for a few months of the year around about xmas. I've eaten rabbit at all stages and enjoyed them all.

Not really, but some people say that the meat is not at its best when they are pregnant.

I try to hold off shooting when I know that there are young 'uns about. Not because I shoot so many that I need to keep the population up, but more because I don't like the idea of small bunnies starving to death down a hole.

Wookie

Yer thats how I feel, I don't think there is any point in shooting baby bunnies, There basically harmless! Best to wait for them to grow up and you can get a bigger meal? :wacko:

Ah yes, but the smaller ones are even more tasty than the larger ones!

The last small 'un I shot went from hopping in the field to stir-fry in 20 minutes and that included prep time and a bit of marinade!

That was tasty!

Wookie

This time of year I'd probably not shoot them at all but I like the farmers to see me about regularly,

doing what they gave me permission to do.....keeping vermin down.

I have to admit at this time of year I am very selective and limit myself to shooting 3/4 grown rabbits. So far I haven't had any pregnant does.

If I knew how to tell the difference through a 9x scope at 60 yards I'd only shoot

the bucks.

Can anyone offer advice on sexing a rabbit at that distance at this time of year ?

Its very dififcult to tell, apart form the obvious, that the pregnant bdoes are visibly alot plumper around the mid drift.

I have often found that milkie does, will spend more time feeding during the day, and seem somewhat pre occupied, and sluggish.

On some horse fields I shoot, you can walk quietly by at about 15 yard, and they dont even glance.

i have to say i cant, but according to an old book i have the way to tell is this;

a doe has a longer more elegant face

a buck has a broad head

i will scan in the page at some point

other than this......shoot it pick it up and look