reason for FAC

Hi all,

just wondering what the police will class as a "good reason" to own firearms??

wanting to apply but is rabbit shooting a good enough reason??

and i want to purchase more than one caliber of rifle? what can i say i want those for??

may thanks everyone

RINGERS

Pest control - Here's my land with permission slip. That easy

If you want a .17HMR, say a 22lr is not capable of the longer range shots that you may need to take. (for humane reasons)

If you want a 22-250, say you want to shoot the foxes

If you want anything bigger, say you're planning a trip to Scotland and fancy a spot of stalking.

Bearing in mind I have the most easy going FEO, you might not be given all the calibres, but always worth a shot (excuse the pun)

Don't forget to apply for a sound moderator and about 1000 buy 1100 own on 22lr bullets. Bulk discount will come in handy.

:unsure: good luck.

Edited by harfordwmj

HMR is hornardy magnum round I belive...

It might be well worth booking a few lessons at a clay ground with a rifle range, or go out with a friend and just get a feel for the way the calibres you are interested act and shoot.

And make sure you cover ALL the things you want on the first app, they can only say no and it saves you a score doing it again in the future.

best of luck with the app. :unsure:

what would be best for general use???

some fox, some rabbit???

Worms.... can of... open.

I would say there is no perfect rabbit and fox round, .17HMR will mash rabbits, and kill close foxes, but if you want longer shots you need to go c/f.

a .22lr for rabbits and a .222/.223/22-250 fox foxes (Ideally, in a ideal world of course)

ive sent off an application for .22lr, .17hmr and .223 for a first time application and have been just recieved a phone call saying i will need a supervisor for an amount of time or to go on a centre fire course. so you may need to bear this in mind.

unsure of length of supervision period or cost of course... any ideas??

HMR is hornardy magnum round I belive...

It might be well worth booking a few lessons at a clay ground with a rifle range, or go out with a friend and just get a feel for the way the calibres you are interested act and shoot.

And make sure you cover ALL the things you want on the first app, they can only say no and it saves you a score doing it again in the future.

best of luck with the app. :unsure:

Hmr is hornady magnum rimfire .

Harnser .

ive sent off an application for .22lr, .17hmr and .223 for a first time application and have been just recieved a phone call saying i will need a supervisor for an amount of time or to go on a centre fire course. so you may need to bear this in mind.

unsure of length of supervision period or cost of course... any ideas??

Hmmm... I think you might have jumped the gun (Excuse the pun) on your licence, as they probably wouldn't have slapped those conditions onto your ticket if you'd applied to do a course before hand, or had gone out and done a bit of shooting with someone who could vouch for you.

I'm not saying I've done a course, but I have a history of using firearms, which my referee gave as evidence. Your best bet is to just take whatever conditions you are given, get out there and get shooting (If you have land, there are plenty of people who will take you shooting from this forum) and your mentors can give references for you.

As they have asked you to do a course, there is no real way of getting out of that... I have an open ticket, but I still have to complete my DSC1 before I can shoot deer unsupervised (Which I believe is completely fair, considering my level of stalking experience) and it has spurred me on to do the course, which I believe is important.

In regards to the length of the conditions is really down to the following things (IMHO): How well you sell yourself when you write your letter asking to have the conditions removed, how good the references are, how well you know your FEO, and how long you have held your licence for.

The last point really is a bit hypocritical of me, as I requested to have my ticket opened after 11 months and got it approved, but I have known my FEO since my first shotgun licence when I was 13 and I speak to him every six months or so. Hence my other point about 'how well you know your FEO' as they will make their mind up dependent on how much they can trust you.

It's a real shame about the conditions that they can slap on our tickets and there was an article on this in a magazine (can't remember which one) a month or so ago. It's their neck on the line if something does happen, so they're just protecting themselves I guess.

Edited by harfordwmj