New TOY, Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless in .223

ashleybrook

Got my Certificate approved for .223 so went to Sportsman Yesterday and bought meself a Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless in .223 with Leupold VX-III 4.5-14 Varmint scope. Theres a few foxes out where I shoot and I can't seem to call them in close enough to have a go at them with the .22LR, So they better start running now I got this toy. Anyone got any experience with C/F sound moderators and what one would be best for .223? I'm thinking Wildcat or Reflex T8?

post-11-1114860206.jpg

The bullets are Factory Federal V-Shok 55gr Nosler Ballistic tip, the rounds are just for practice and to wear in the barrel, after the cases are fire formed, gonna load them with Hornady V-max 55 or 50gr or Maybe use 50 or 55gr Nosler Ballistic tips and experiment with powder loads. Any info on experience with hand loads and factory loads in .223 would be greatly appreciated.

The bullets are Factory Federal V-Shok 55gr Nosler Ballistic tip, the rounds are just for practice and to wear in the barrel, after the cases are fire formed, gonna load them with Hornady V-max 55 or 50gr or Maybe use 50 or 55gr Nosler Ballistic tips and experiment with powder loads.  Any info on experience with hand loads and factory loads in .223 would be greatly appreciated.

i use

federal cases, fed 205 primers, 55gn vmax,27.5 gn varget powder

this combination is simply awesome throurh my tika 223

if you are going to reload with varget rec charge is between 25.5-27.5gn

Edited by tommy trucker

Tommy, I only hope I will be taking photos like that with my .223, thats an impressive night out!!!

Any tips on using the fox whistle, I bought one from fox shot but still can't master it,. Can you use it for close calling aswell or is it just for attracting foxes long range?! Any tips would really help.

Awesome pic though, Thanks for posting it! :D

Hi AB, thats the same make of scope that i was looking at in york guns yesterday, but they only had it in 8.5-25x50 the one i will have to order is 4.5-14x50.Dont know what you paid for yours but theirs were £470. with the varmet hunter reticule. You look to have a nice piece of kit, just go steady with the barrel to start with.

Tommy, I only hope I will be taking photos like that with my .223, thats an impressive night out!!!

Any tips on using the fox whistle, I bought one from fox shot but still can't master it,. Can you use it for close calling aswell or is it just for attracting foxes long range?! Any tips would really help.

Awesome pic though, Thanks for posting it! :D

CLICK HERE FOR INFO

Hi AB, thats the same make of scope that i was looking at in york guns yesterday, but they only had it in 8.5-25x50 the one i will have to order is 4.5-14x50.Dont know what you paid for yours but theirs were £470. with the varmet hunter reticule. You look to have a nice piece of kit, just go steady with the barrel to start with.

Stirky,

I have one for sale if you are interested, check out the Wanted section on the Guntrader website Leupold VX111 4.5 - 14 X 40. Cheers.

The bullets are Factory Federal V-Shok 55gr Nosler Ballistic tip, the rounds are just for practice and to wear in the barrel, after the cases are fire formed, gonna load them with Hornady V-max 55 or 50gr or Maybe use 50 or 55gr Nosler Ballistic tips and experiment with powder loads. Any info on experience with hand loads and factory loads in .223 would be greatly appreciated.

I use 50gr V-max moly with 24.7grs H322 and remington primers and find that deadly as for mods dont bother with T8 go with AR3 its designed primarily for use with .223's and weighs half as much. :D

Leon

The bullets are Factory Federal V-Shok 55gr Nosler Ballistic tip, the rounds are just for practice and to wear in the barrel, after the cases are fire formed, gonna load them with Hornady V-max 55 or 50gr or Maybe use 50 or 55gr Nosler Ballistic tips and experiment with powder loads.  Any info on experience with hand loads and factory loads in .223 would be greatly appreciated.

i use

federal cases, fed 205 primers, 55gn vmax,27.5 gn varget powder

this combination is simply awesome throurh my tika 223

if you are going to reload with varget rec charge is between 25.5-27.5gn

Tommy, do you use Moly coated 55grain V-Max or standard? Is there much difference in accuracy?? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ashley.

hi ash

ive never used moly coated bullets so i cant comment.

you have gone down the exact same road as me i used the same factory ammo. i was getting an average 1" @ 100yds with the factory wich iwas quite happy with until i bought somemore (a different batch No) these went all over the place!!!!!

i opened another box (1st batch) and my grouping was back

that was when i decided to load my own, ive never looked back

ive shot foxes over 250 yds (on the lamp)

rabbits at over 500 yds

crows at 300yds

you know what the saying is "if it aint broke dont fix it"

i wont change a winning formular :D:D:D

happy shooting m8 let me know how you get on................

hi ash

ive never used moly coated bullets so i cant comment.

you have gone down the exact same road as me i used the same factory ammo. i was getting an average 1" @ 100yds with the factory wich iwas quite happy with until i bought somemore (a different batch No) these went all over the place!!!!!

i opened another box (1st batch) and my grouping was back

that was when i decided to load my own, ive never looked back

ive shot foxes over 250 yds (on the lamp)

rabbits at over 500 yds

crows at 300yds

you know what the saying is "if it aint broke dont fix it"

i wont change a winning formular :D:D:D

happy shooting m8 let me know how you get on................

Tommy, thanks for the reply.

I noticed the same accuracy problem with my factory ammo, was shooting under 1" @ 100yds cleaning the barrel every 20 rounds (each box). Then opened a new box which I think was a different batch No. (No markings on box!) and the groups opened to around the 2" mark.

I can't have faith in long shots with groups varying like that. I'm reloading the fired brass hopefully on Thursday and I'll try the loads you stated, seeing as your rifle is a Tikka Stainless in .223 aswell.

Whats the rate of twist and length of your barrel by the way, mine's 1-8 twist with 23.75" barrel. I'll let you know how I get on with those loads, I'll start with 25.5grains of powder and work up if all is ok to 27.5grains.

Cheers.

Ashley.

Very interesting -

I also shoot a T3 in .223 and use Federal premium ballistics and until now had no problems but have found the last batch of rounds a bit random to say the least. Might be time to look at home loading.

Pike