Reloading 308 Winchester

Hi Guys help needed, I have a Cz 550 in the above calibre which I have been taget shooting at 300 and 600 yards.

I have been trying to work up to a load which will give accuracy with managable recoil, I have tried the various load data charts, surfed the net for info etc, etc but I think I may have took in that much info that I have confused the issue.

I`m using a 147gn Sellior and Bellot fmj bullet, Lapua brass, CCI primers and Varget powder, I started with 44gn then increased little by little up 46gn accuracy was good but recoil a little uncomfortable.

I then tried a 155 Sierra matchking bullet with 43 grains of powder which at 600 was very accurate with recoil my shoulder could cope with.

Sierra list a load of 41.4gns of Varget that will give 2600fps with bullets between 150 and 155gr but then it says to start with a load at 10% less and work up to the 41.4, it also says that if using a military surplus case to reduce the overall load by 10% because the brass of the case is thicker, see how confusing it is, will the bullet ever reach the target :good: .

I don`t fancy the idea of winding the scope up and down and chasing the bullet all around the target nor do I like the idea of having 20 loaded rounds of this and 20 loaded rounds of that on the firing point just waiting to get mixed up and confuse me even more.

Should I forget everything from before and start afresh, would the rifle be bullet fussy, should i use a different powder or should I just load up a large quantity of rounds, make a note of the loads in them, and go fire them at 100yds until I find what I`m after.

Your input would be very much welcomed.

Kevin

Lineshooter .

I sympathise with you ,have been there done that over to many years . Proberbly the biggest variables in reloading is ,powder , bullets and neck tension. I think you need to stay with a suitable bullet for your target shooting ranges of 300 yards and 600 yards . If you have not used a different powder then try another one . If you havent crimped ,then try crimping with a lee factory crimp die ,i swear by crimping bullets rather than not crimping . I never found different primers made any difference in accuracy . I used to batch my cases but got bored with it as it didnt seem to make any differance .

The biggest variable in long range accuracy is pilot error .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

Heavy bullets seem to be a good thing for accuracy, they get pushed around by the wind a lot less. Trouble is if you drive them hard they kick hard!

Have you got a decent recoil pad on your rifle? Something like a kick-eez will really make a difference to the standard pad and you could wind your loads up a bit without suffering. Usually good accurate loads are a fair bit under max though?

The NRA standard taregt round is a 155gr sierra matchking bullet loaded to do 2920fps. It is designed to be fired from a 1:13 twist barrel. It is now loaded by RUAG and it very accurate. Recoil is managable as well.

The NRA standard taregt round is a 155gr sierra matchking bullet loaded to do 2920fps. It is designed to be fired from a 1:13 twist barrel. It is now loaded by RUAG and it very accurate. Recoil is managable as well.

Thats interesting Martin . When did the NRA stop using R and G .

Harnser .

Thanks for the replies guys, I know its a sporting rifle which doesn`t help so is lighter than a target one I`m looking at recoil reducers etc, it has a decent pad which is glued on i dont want to mess with that at the moment, if it was screwed on I may have looked to change it.

Obviously recoil is not such a problem in the winter when you have ten jumpers on, my shoulders a bit arthritic hence the worry over it I may try one of those pads you wear under your shirt, if I`m not anticipating recoil I can concentrate on hitting the target :good:

Harnser, yes I have a Lee crimp die and have read up on neck tension that was going to be my next test as was a load of 45.5 gr behind a 155gr matchking to get 2950fps..... ouch!!

Thats interesting Martin . When did the NRA stop using R and G .

Harnser .

Harnser,

This year is when they stopped, RG couldn't supply enough for the season along with all the competitions so an alternative was sought. Several manufacturers loaded ammo and it was all tested and the RUAG stuff was confirmed. It is quite a bit tighter than RG.

There is quite a bit of RG still floating around and most of the Bisley clubs have bought it at discounted rates so I will be using it for a while yet. It is also only 40p a round instead of the RUAG at 83p :good:

It can be purchased from the NRA Armoury at bisley.

The RG ammo is slightly longer than normal and you are meant to have your chamber checked before using it as the bullet could be touching the lands and create excess pressure.

The last I bought from the armoury was 56p a round, clubs get it cheaper as they buy in bulk (5000 rounds at a time)

I have about 80 rounds at homoe if you are ever near essex. Failing that come to the bisley meet in August and get some and try it out.

Harnser,

I don't think it is, although it is 83p a round you do get 10p back when you return the case as it will be reloaded. The RG was in essence military ammo and the cases where just scrapped whereas this stuff is target ammo.

I am going to try a few rounds so I will let you know.

Cheers

Martin

Harnser,

I don't think it is, although it is 83p a round you do get 10p back when you return the case as it will be reloaded. The RG was in essence military ammo and the cases where just scrapped whereas this stuff is target ammo.

I am going to try a few rounds so I will let you know.

Cheers

Martin

Martin ,

If they are paying 10p for your fired cases then they are most likely boxer primed and would be worth keeping .

Harnser .