Puppys Progress

pavman

My pup and I have been following Mikes (NTTF) excellent pinned training programme, Its been grate fun and I am happy with our progress with some reservations/observations that I would like to resolve prior to moving forward. I should mention the pup is now 14 weeks, training has been short little fun sessions stopping if she shows signs of boredom or fatigue. Its also very early days for us both.

Astra will now sit on the verbal command “sit” and she will recall both on and off the training lead and again sit facing me (without distractions) added at this time as long as she gets a treat.

However when we walk with her on my left side (short lead) she constantly sniffs the grass and it’s a job to get her attention with either verbal or treat induced motivation.

I have been having a short walk maybe 3 to 5 yards then asking her to sit, as soon as we set off (lead with rt leg) this is when the sniffing starts, if I show her a treat or pop the lead to lift her head she just jumps up onto her hind legs, so I have stopped this and gone back to play fun and sit. Pending advise.

She has been shown a dummy on two occasions during fun play time, which we end with after each little training session, and at this early stage just wants to run off with it and has no intention of coming back despite recall and lots of encouragement, so aging I have not repeated this aspect.

As always Mike, guys your comments and observations are appreciated.

Thanks, pavman

Pav,

Sorry, us Scots are generally from the slower school of thought. I have not looked at the training schedule you refer to "Mikes" but personally I would not be expecting a 14wk old Pup to do no more than eat and ****. As for a dummy (12 months maybe)? I dunno, balls, yes, but IMHO (I've never done that before) (never knew what it meant) play with the pup for the first 6 months, have it sit for it's dinner... and that's progress. Let the dog have a bit of time to find it's personality!?

I'ts not a machine, it's a companion.

Slow and Steady is my Motto.

Hammy

Pav:

Its Dan not Mike. Mike wrote the article that I passed on to you. The training programs are mine the vet advice is his.

To stop the sniffing try the following; start heeling when she lowers her head to snif give a commad, "no siff" and a light pop on the lead. It wont take her long to realize that you dont want her to do this. Remember to praise as soon as she raises her head up and to pop and command when she goes to lower it.

As for the retrieving start in your house in a hallway using a knotted sock. Toss the sock to the end of the hall, she then only has one place to go, back up the hallway to you. This will develope a nice natural retrieve with a nice straight line.

Remember keep it simple and fun.....NTTF

Dan/Hammy & Dave (for the pm’s)

Thanks guys……….. :rolleyes:

What I would also say is it can be very confusing for a beginner like me just starting out with a new pup! Despite the fact I have been in the field a long time, whilst working off shore in the Oil field for the last 16 years has stopped me having a dog prior to getting this office job.

Everyone is so helpful and means well, and at the end of the day I have had to make a decision to follow advise predominantly from one source based on popular opinion (NTTF)

Of course to balance I like to take heed and pay regard to other opinions to get a balanced view. And for your comments and relaying your own problems encountered I am most grateful guys.

There is of course a wealth of training material in many formats, In most cases they do advise to start training early (just small simple steps) and then build on the basics. And I thought this would suite me also as we can learn together.

Pup and I are having great fun, she loves to play chase with the Terrier in the garden, but for 15 mins each am and pm we have quality time alone for the basics, then she goes back in her own run.

One thought I have is will the pup get bored with sit/recall two sessions a day…am I doing to much and should only train every other day say up to 6 months?

Cheers guys

pavman (also Dan)

Guys

The no sniff trick has started to work already, and to my surprise it has not made her cant up on her hind legs. Thanks to NTTF

I take your point Hammy about her age, And I am mindful to keep training short and sweet, also we try to make it more of a fun game than stern training with lots of praise and touching/stroking.

I guess a lot of you guys out there may see this as very basic, but for the newby dog trainer like myself your assistance is invaluable, and by posting may also help others. :rolleyes:

pavman