PCP CHARGING

BIG BILL

I have decided after long thought a divers bottle would be better,So I bought a 3lt 3oo bar bottle off e-bay.

There is no instructions and safety is alway paramount.

Can anyone give me a quick user guide ie:the gauge and use.

I have also heard of your bottle heating up if filled too quickly?

I have a Logun S16.

BIG BILL :rolleyes:

Edited by ernyha

Ive not quite got to owning a bottle yet but I do know that you should fill your buddy tank slowly.

If you allow too much to pass through quickly, the valve can become unseated and not return when you release the bottle. This will also create heat which will cause a build up of moisture (condensation) which will lead to long term problems.

And of course dont overfill the bottle, the recommded presure on the S16 is 200 bar.

Hope this helps,

Axe.

Edited by Axe

Found this on the internet may help you:

Once connected, open the tank valve slowly and by as small amount as possible, watch the needle on the tank gauge rise slowly towards the desired filling pressure. Don't instantly open the valve wide, this will generate a lot of heat in the cylinder and reduce its working life. A good indication of a correct fill is how little the cylinder temperature rises.

hi, hope this helps,1) most dive shops cant fill cylinders to 300bar, 2)if you can get it filled to that be very careful,when you fill rifle crack valve on cylinder very slowly and watch pressure guage,most rifles only fill to 190/200 bar,and at fill pressure of 250

a rupture disc in the gun reciever pops to protect you and the gun,reciever is now usually scrap because disc cannot be replaced,

gun reciever will not normally get warm,A) because your putting such a small amount in it,B)and if your filling correctly your doing it slowly anyway,

diving cylinders will get warm when filled because of the large volume of air being pumped in,thats why most dive shops put in a tank of water when filling,

fill slowly and to the right pressure and you'll have no problems,happy shooting,terry

ps ,email me if you need further help and i'll try to talk you through it

Edited by mr fixit

step by step guide.

If the bottle was sent to you BY royal mail it should have been sent without any air in it so you may need to have it filled at a local dive shop. If you have a din clamp and hose im sure they would be more than willing to show you how to use it safly. but the following should be a step by step guid to doing it your self

1. ensure there is air in the bottle by taking ti to a dive centre for filling(or you can just open the valve up on the bottle slightly and if you can hear a hisss of air it has at least got a partialk fill in it), if it is out of test (test= visual inspection ever 2.5 years hydraulic test every 5 years)(though have heard that some fire stations would be willing to fill bottles.

2. depending on what fitting it is A clamp or din fitting (300 BAR MUST be din fitting 200-232 BAR normaly A clamp) atach gauge and hose to bottle (gauge usualy bolted straight to clamp, and hose comes out of the gauge.

3. fit rifle conector to other end of hose and tighten with spanners.

4. fit S-16 bottle to hose and toighten with hands

5. ensure the bleed valve (small round bolt on either clamp or close to the preasure guage) is closed

6. slowly open the valve on the big bottle until preasure gague starts to register movement this should be accompanied by a high pitched <squeak> the slower you fill the bottle the better. DO NOT FULLY OPEN VALVE!

7. once preasure of 200BAR (playing safe as i cant rember what a S-16 goes up to) close the valve on the big bottle.

8. MOST IMPORTANT PART!!!!!! relase the presure in the hose/clamp by undoing the bleed valve.

9. sate to remove the bottle from the hose and re fit it to the rifle.

10. check presure on the guage on the rifle. Though it is possible that this will not match what the gauge on the big bottle said. as it is only meant to give you a rough guide.

You dont have to fill the rifle up to the maximum 200BAR if the bottle is running low on air you will find that after so many fills (probably 3-4) it will only go as high as 190 and then each fill will be slightly lower again, this wont hurt or damage the rifle in any way at all. All it will mean is you get fewer and fewer shots per charge.

but as long as the bottle is still in test, i dont think you will have any problems with it at all. If you still have problems find out where your local gunshop is or air gun club (though a lot of shotgunners and full bore shooters may be able to help you as well) and pop along for a bit of advice.

if you want to give me a bell on 07849590132 id be more than happy to talk you through it on land line (dont mind mobile up on here but never the land line)

all the best

ROB :thumbs:

shuold also point out that a lot of manufactures recomend you have the rifles air resevoir inspected every 5 years. Though this is only a recomendation as any air cylender less than 500 CC (cl? 0.5L for sure) is exempt from testing.

I really should practice what i preach here as i have a gunpower stealth that has a date stamp of 1999 on the bottle and i havnt even thought about getting it tested :thumbs:

this is one of the reasons i like my TX200 no messing abou with shots fired no messing about lugging a big bottle about LOL just pick it up and shoot the bloody thing LOL

ROB :)

Thanks roblade you are a star.

I will try this this week myself and if I get stuck will give you a call, I'm lucky in one way, the diving place I will use makes the bottles and is a testing station so will get them to check it before use, it has got a ticket till Dec 2008.

I'm just sick of paying the local shop 2.50 for mine and 1.00 for my sons gun

every time they need filled.

Thanx to everyone for there help. :thumbs: :):) :(

BIG BILL

diving cylinders will get warm when filled because of the large volume of air being pumped in,thats why most dive shops put in a tank of water when filling,

I think you will find that dive shops immerse bottles in a tank of water to contain them should they explode unexpectedly rather than to cool them but I could be wrong.

You have to consider pressure versus flow in these cases: when the dive bottle is being charged the ingoing flow is fairly low as to achieve the high pressures required the filling pump has a relatively small displacement, most pumps are multi stage. Once the pressure in the bottle has been achieved it can be released as quickly as the outlet valve will allow, a lot quicker than it went in if venting to atmosphere !!.

Most manufacturers will recommend that you never allow the gun reservoir to completely empty so you should always have a residual pressure in there when you start filling from the dive bottle. The rate at which the gun will fill is dependent on the pressure differential and valve opening, slow filling is desirable as it will cause less condensation to form as less heat change takes place.

When firing the gun a small volume of air at high pressure is released in an "explosive decompression" as the hammer hits the end of the valve pin, stronger hammer spring/heavier hammer = more hammer energy and longer valve opening which within the limitations of the transfer ports and barrel length will increase power. It would be interesting to work out what the flow at maximum valve opening is.

On a slightly different note, for all of you who follow legislation slavishly :thumbs: you will find that your car insurance will be void if you carry pressurised gas containers in it without having the right stickers on the car and informing your insurance company. This applies to diving bottles and believe it or not PCP's. Worth having a chat with the guys at the dive shop who like most of us probably just ignore it.

should point out that when the rifle reaches about 100BAR (somewhere in the red on the gauge on the rifle) this is when to refill using the bottle.

if somehow you forget (easily done) dont panic if you hear a great hiss of air and the bottle dumps all the air down the barrelthis is normal where there isnt enough presure to keep the valve on the rifle closed.

If you try to fill the rifle when its completly empty of air you may find its wont work. All you have to do is ensure there is no magazine fitted and cock the rifle, then fill it as normal.

Depending on what size bottle you have and what preasure it is (232 or 300BAR) a small 3 ltr bottle would probably give you only a 3-4 fills where as a 12ltr 300 BAR will probably last you about 6 months!!!!

But i know one thing you wont ever be sorry you went down the PCP road :thumbs: shot after shot on a 10p without havign to try too hard :)

enjoy your new rifle :)

all the best

ROB :(