Yesterday Evening on the Avon

Spaniel

Decided to spend a few hours yesterday down on the Avon again at Swineford.

When we got there around 4 ish, there was a guy fishing with his two lads, asked him if he any luck and he said only this one, took a further look and noticed he had hooked a pike with his spinning gear......well i watched as his lad tryed to land the fish only to snap his landing pole........so i set mine up and landed it for him.

Next i watched him try to un-hook the Pike which was a complete nightmare, so i took over and un hooked it for him.

Off to find another swin, just put my kit down and the baliff came along for a chat, very nice guy.

Finaly managed to get myself set up, when my Son came along and said that the guy who was spinning for pike had now gone, so right then, picked all the gear up and went back to the first swim i wanted to get in about 30 mins earlier.......

Well you wouldnt bloody believe it, there was the broken landing net and pole just left on the ground....what is the matter with these people, if it was not broken they would of taken it home, so why not take their rubbish home with them :)

Idiots like this will ruin fishing for people like me, as it is all private land but rented by the Bristol and West Affilliation..

Anyway now back to the fishing :oops:

I used Lobworms for the session last night, and i found that i was getting bites and hitting them but after a few tugs the fish were getting off, (I was using size 12 hook with a couple of swan shots on the line) so i decided to cut the worms in half

which worked alot better.

I also found that the fish seemed to play with the bait a little, picking it up and dropping it a few times until they final took it.

Mainly it was the Perch which were doing this, the Chub never messed around at all, a little touch and then the thud :oops:

I did miss Two lovely pull round bites which may of been Bream as the swim i was in is actually known for good Chub and Bream fishing..

Anyway about 9pm i noticed a slug and called my son over to watch how the chub react to them.

As normal i had a slight twitch and then the rod bounced as Mr Chub was well hooked.

Time we packed up it must of been about 9.30 and lo and behold i looked around me and there were slugs every where....popped about 10 into my container and hopefully will get out for a couple of hours late this afternoon to have ago at the Chub again

lastnight2.jpg

lastnight3.jpg

lastnight1.jpg

Just a few pics of the many Perch and Chub plus this wierd fellow which i caught last night on Lobworms.

Im not catching nothing big at the present time, but they are there, they just need to be out witted by the Great White Hunter Ian :good:???

A Ruff, never caught one of those before...

Isnt it funny what the difference a day makes, went down on Sunday and never had a bit and i was using slugs again.

But it was in the afternoon not evening time this time, so lesson learned and i had todo some mountaineering as the bank was very slippery with all that rain on sunday :good: thank god i had my landing net pole with me, otherwise i would of ended up in the Avon with the fish :D

Cant wait for next saturday evening to give it another bash :good:

you boys are just lucky youve got fish to go after, my local river waveney has been totally otter'd out, the otter trust at Earsham closed down and they let 28 pairs go all along the valley, they were so tame when first released some even played with dogs on bungay common, i think theyve dispersed a bit and i think several have met a sticky end with a high velocity lead injection, but sadly to late for all the local chub and roach.

they should be prosecuted if you poisoned that many fish you would be dragged through the courts

mikee

Well done mate :good: , my stretch of river is still a bit high off the rain but hopefully it will have the sea trout moving

I was hoping for some colour in the river down here, but it is still very clear at present.

Good luck with the sea trout :D