baiting fox

we have a bit of a fox problem!!! and want to shoot a few.

The problem is the grass is very high in most places so it would be hard to just call one in like normal because of it just being hidden in the grass. What I'v done today is put a fence post in one of the clearings where I could get a shoot, and tomorro I'm going to tie a tin of dog/cat food on a length of string attached to the post so that the fox cannot just carry it off. I planned to feed it a couple of nights and then be waiting for it with the rifle once it had got used to coming to the bait.

dose this sound like a good idea?

Is there anything that you kind people would do different?

thank you

Try using a digital clock, type with battery, stake it down and set the time tie a piece of old meat onto fishing gut and tie other end to battery, when charlie comes along he will take meat, thus pulling battery from clock stopping the time, you can then see what time he is around that area (foxes are predictable and follow a time pattern when wandering around checking there patch)

keep baiting as you intended, but this method will give you an idea when to sit out watching for him, saves a lot of wasted time hanging around and seeing nowt. :good::D:good:

• 3 weeks later...
surely if it is a digital clock when the battery is pulled the screen goes blank? how about a battery powered face clock?

Hi I have tried lots of different baits , they all work to some degree.

A normal travel clock is all I use (a few pence at boot fairs) just make the cord long enough for the clock to be a little way from the bait, they all give off a ticking sound that we cant hear.

I put my bait in an old net bag that onions come in, that way you can squish it abit and the scent flows freely, tie the bag securely about a foot up the post. I havnt tried it but a nylon pop sock might do the job if you cant find a net bag easily.

Another "refinement" is to use a battery powered pir lamp, suitably blacked out to give a dull glow to indicate when Charlie is at the diner, I have been using one for about a month now and it saves disturbing the site by sweeping the lamp around checking.

Once you have established the baiting point Charlie will come at roughly the same time each night, it will become part of the "round", my bait is visited 30mins after I cannot see through the bins anymore.

Be sure to make yourself as comfortable as poss while waiting, nothing worse than waiting hours for a shot then missing because you ache and are stiff, I actually sit in a fold up canvas armchair lol.

ATB and enjoy D2D.

Snare them, must be some nice runs in the long grass, if not, make some using a truck.

Ive had great success this year with snaring.

Many thanks

Alex

Bet your farmers love you .............. Driving around flattening the sillage grass

Once the grass starts to get long we dont drive the fields