Slings

Steveo

I have been thinking about a sling for my Air Arms S410 and would like to know what other hunters think about having a sling on their gun. Are they worth the bother?

My gun has a walnut stock so I am unsure about drilling into it, i know i will need to remove the stock.

What type of sling is the best, what type of studs(?) are best, i want the sort that i can fit a bipod to. What is the name of these?

I want to fit a 'Deben Padded Super Sling' and a '1A2-LM HARRIS BIPOD SOLID BASE' what sort of screws do i need to accomodate this combo? Do they come with either piece or do i need to buy them separate?

Edited by Steveo

Cant comment on their worth for air rifles but I have one on my CZ452 and used one on an Enfield 8, its woth its weight in gold for firing prone without support, it makes the rifle way more steady, (enfields are NOT light!!), dosnt make much difference in any other position though, cant see then being of any use with a bi pod, other then for carrying.

as he said they are both worth there weight in gold you will not realise just how much you find uses for them, if you don't want to drill the stock then use a sling like the cheeta which attaches using ruber strips but then you can't fit a bipod to it because they need to be attached to studs in the wood,

Hi steve,

what you need is the following:

1x normal quick detachable (QD) stud for the butt end

1x short QD stud for the fore end (though check the depth as you may be able to cut down a normal size one)

2x QD sling swivels

add the sling of your choice

Bipod

no extra fittings are needed as the bipod has a place to attach a QD sling fitting on the underside of it and just clips on (and does up) to the stud fitted to the rifle.

though i would advise you to go for the swivel head (S type) bipod as it saves a lot of fidling about with the legs to get the rifle level.

check out the following link as they have all the bits you need at pretty damn good prices!

optics warehouse

the bipods on there are not too bad but are just short of the harris quality (but doubt you would notice) the best thing about those bipods, if you dont get on well with them you wont have lost too much (at least not as much as a harris)

which size bipod depends on what shooting you will be doing most:

6-9" bipod best for bench rested

9-13" perfect for prone shots (laying down)

13-23" ideal for sitting or kneeling shots (shooting over long grass)

If your spending a lot of time wandering around your shoot a sling is a must have item. try carrying the rifle in your arms for a couple of hours then see how steady your aim is!!!!!

hope this helps you out a little

all the best

ROB :)

Hi Steveo,

I myself have an AAs400 in walnut, and have put a sling on it. Although its a very light rifle, it does help alot when walking up hills, which you dont wish to shoot on and also for climbing obstacles. The equiptment that use for my sling is as roblade suggests, with standard sized qd studs on butt and foreend.

To be extra careful when drilling the holes to accomodate the studs, they need to be smaller enough for the studs thread to get a good grip( its best to do some tester holes in another bit of wood first).Also you can place some masking tape over the point you will drill and mark a cross with a pen on it. Then drill it will a pillar drill, if you have one or can find on to use or if not just carefully drill it with an electric drill.

Hope this helps :lol::D

Barney

Edited by stupidsalmon

does any one know off the top of there heads how much a bipod would be that extends enough to shoot it sitting up because i want one for shooting foxes

swivel head at optics warehouse (click the link i posted above wil take you straight to bipods) is £55 and fixed head is £35 all the bipods are the same price.

ROB :lol: