Progression to deer stalking

Hunter2

Someone point me in the right direction!

I am a keen shooter; I shoot a lot with the hmr and 22lr and are keen to get into deer stalking.

I am just about in put a variation in for a .223 for muntjac, fox and cwd

My permission has muntjac on it and I may have an opportunity for a permission that has too many munjac on it and they need help.

Without experience of deer stalking, I doubt that I would be granted a .243 for deer stalking as a first C/F without “good reason”.

Tried to find accompanied deer stalking that does not cost the earth

Not that I am not prepared to pay,

just believe in being out in the field with people that have the knowledge.

Without costing the earth.

Finding a mentor is ideal but not many would help as the it’s a huge responsibility.

I know, I am mentoring a guy who was asked to find a mentor for a 17 HMR and its hard work at times

making sure he sees beyond what he’s aiming at.

Those of you that shoot will know what I mean when you are out with a fellow shooter!

So anyone out there wants to assist or point me in a direction of an affordable way

I understand the the dsc is good and I have a dvd pack and have been reading up on the subject

I plan to do the dsc but want experience first so it all falls into place.

Regards

Derek

i'd just put in for the .223 for fox, cwd and muntjac now.

i got mine no problem, it's only when you get above the .22 c/f that you really have any issues.

just started stalking myself.

as long as you explain that you are wanting to learn and that you intend to do the dsc1 i don't see why they won't issue it.

Edited by nickbeardo

I've just done two conducted stalks at 'Clinton Devon Estates' they have a website. Although I went stalking with my dad for years I never got a chance to shoot one so a couple of weeks ago I got my first Roe buck. The two stalks including B&B and the success fee! came to £255 which is not too bad. The estate manager that took me out is very knowledgable and helpful.

Try doing the meat hygiene part of the course first. I did mine at Luton Hoo last year with the BASC, I think it was £125 for both deer and small game, and you get a very nice certificate at the end (so long as you pass).

It takes the pressure off as it then allows you to focus on the task of species recognition, which is a major part of the DSC.

After that you can just do the DSC assessment (once you think you have enough experience), which will bring the cost right down.

Just my thought's.

I would try and go straight in for the calibre you want, not a compromise caliber. If you have a good reason for a .243 then apply for one. Not wanting to start a debate here but alot of stalkers reckon that muntjac are tough critters and that to a certain degree, the bigger the calibre the better. I realise not all police forces are the same but I was granted a first time FAC for a .243 and .22rf with no DSC or mentoring conditions. If you do not ask you will not get. Equally they may well grant you a .22 centrefire but then put conditions on its use for deer.

as the others have said put in for the caliber you want and make sure the FEO knows you have done plenty of stalking with your dad so he knows you know what a safe shot is and how to deal with a dead deer, i have just been granted a FAC for .22lr and .243 with no dsc or mentor conditions and i made sure my FEO knew that i had done plenty of shooting in the past and i knew the score on the safety front,

good luck

mikee

I would try and go straight in for the calibre you want, not a compromise caliber. If you have a good reason for a .243 then apply for one. Not wanting to start a debate here but alot of stalkers reckon that muntjac are tough critters and that to a certain degree, the bigger the calibre the better.

Scolpax is spot on!

If you can justify a rifle for deer stalking (OK maybe it's the smaller species at the moment), then go for a caliber that will allow you to move on to larger species if you so wish.