what to look for when buying

jasper3

hello. as you know I am going to be new to the shotgun world.... its a mine field from my eyes :lol:

now !!!! I know the most important thing is to get the gun that fits right...( ive been reading the threads )

i can understand about the chokes and the patterns they produce..... so i will be looking for a MC

I would like to do Clay, Rough,& pigeion,

i do like the over and under style of gun , as i have fired one a couple of years ago for one day....

i don't want to fall into the trap of looking and falling in love with a gun because it looks nice... but !!! the Beretta range and the Browning range seem to get good feedback, and the one's i have seen do look very nice.

i will have a budget of around £1000...so i guess a new gun will be out of the question...not to bothered about that... can always upgrade if needed later...

i think i'm starting to understand the cartridge..stats.... 26grm 28grm 30grm etc etc and different speeds and size shot..but that can be learnt after..

what difference does Barrel length make ?

the biggest question is what to look for when buying your 1st gun...... i know this question can get boring to someone who has been answering it for years :D I get it with Kayaks ....

but i would really appreciate some good advice

many thanks for reading

John :good: B)

£1000 is enough for a new gun!, you will not go far wrong with a beretta, browning, miruoku, lanber, lincon, betinsolli or any other well known brand. I find berettas fit me well, but thats a personal preference :good: you may find different

a good website is gun trader, where you can search specifically on your budget and gauge. I would recommend a new 686 or second hand silver pigeon or the likes B)

I have pretty much the same dilemna as you. But i think i will do 70% rough/game shooting and 30%. So i am going for a game gun, but a multi choke. Any amount of brownings.........but have no idea of the 325,425,525's etc and what they offer.

A berretta, my ideal buy is a silver pigeon grade 3. So am possibly holding out to save another few hundred quid or buy one second hand!?

any good gun shop will help you. try how they feel to mount. some like browning more( i.e me) other berretta. The key is try before you buy. and they are both very good guns.

if you can go to a clay shoot and borrow as may peoples gun as they will let you..... most people at the clay shoot are freindly enough or they was when i was looking.

1000 should get you a good condition grd1 525 although you can get them for 1200 new last time i looked.

325 and 425 are just older versions not that there is anything wrong with them. they seam to be a simalar price

The berretta i can't comment on. i tried them and didn't feel the same to me.

i'd go for a sporter model as they are a more genral purpose.

Hi, Jasper,

I'm not the chap to advise you on which model to buy because I shoot side by side, double trigger and fixed choke. However, you are buying your FIRST gun. Like it or not, believe it or not, you WILL trade up. Consequently, don't buy anything "out of the norm" which you will have trouble trading in or be forced to accept a low valuation on.

Cheers and good luck

PS Well I'm blowed, just spotted your location. Has to be less than a mile from me. One time BASC HEO and shooting coach. Happy to help if you wish.

Edited by wymberley