Howa 1500 in .223

The really scary barrel life figures are to be found among the benchrest shooters who seem to accept it as a normal part of the sport. Factoring in a barrel wear cost equivilent to £1 a shot is beyond my means.

I have a friend in America who is a keen benchrester but over there they can buy good name custom barrels for much less than we get charged for equivilent grade barrels over here.

Edited by Vince Green

Okay, the up date is that under controlled testing (off bench, bipod and sand bag) with Winchester Ballistic Silvertips the first group of 3 was within 1/2 inch at 100 yards.

The group opened up to 2.5" after 18 rounds.

It didn't appear to be barrel heat (it is snug in the stock and could probably use a professional float job) but the determining factor was cleaning (something I like to avoid whereever possible).

Anyways, a pull through with the bore snake and we were back on track.

Average was for a group of 3 to nestle comfortable together all within 1" at 100 yards.

Pleased and relieved all at the same time.

Thanks to everyone who posted; especially Mr. Logic and Vince Green - I have been reading quietly with much interest.