Fitting Winches to a Terios

CZ550Kevlar

It should be possible, it just depends how much effort you want to put into it. With winch pulling power you really want to give yourself a comfortable margin of power. As a vehicle stuck in mud can require well over its weight in pulling force to get it out. If you have plenty of line and a good anchor point though doubling the line back will help.

I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with the Terios so you'll have to have a good look and see if it looks like there is space and where you would want to mount it. The mount is the most important part. It must be fixed strongly onto the chassis (assuming you have one). Generally the method for fitting them is to look for existing holes to bolt to, and build up a tray to fit between. 6mm is a good solid choice to go for.

A good functional tray could be as simple as the sheet, with a fold on the front for the fairlead, gusseted for strength with a suitable mounting arrangement. But if you have lots of sensors or vehicle parts right up at the front it may be more tricky.

Never put the two together??

Never heard of anyone putting a winch on a Soft roader.

I have a set of MALATESTA KAIMAN tyres to be fitted onto it but alot of the places i go are prone to thick sticky mud and want the option of self recovery if the tyres don`t do the job they should.

Quite a few people have put winches on freelanders and they are a soft roader.

There are plenty of small 4x4s with winch set ups, jimnys , sport tracks etc.

They are a handy precaution. If it isn't going to be used much, have you considered one of the smaller lightweight types which you could put on a removeable mount? (ie 2" receiver hitch)

Quite a few people have put winches on freelanders and they are a soft roader.

There are plenty of small 4x4s with winch set ups, jimnys , sport tracks etc.

They are a handy precaution. If it isn't going to be used much, have you considered one of the smaller lightweight types which you could put on a removeable mount? (ie 2" receiver hitch)

Thanks for the reply, would you happen to know of a link with an example of the type of thing you are talking about as it might prove to be an easier option that getting a garage or something to build a permanent mount onto the front of my Terios. I have a set of ground anchors and webbing strap for trees etc but the winch is proving the pain in the bum bit.

nor me if the driver is any good its pretty unusual to get stuck, more to the point though they don't have a separate chasis do they? So mount it to the normal bumper mountings and might be interesting to see what bends :lol:

Personally I'd fit a tow bar and as said use a hand winch to pull it out if you go really silly, have to say though unless you go out looking to get stuck its pretty rare as by the time you get stuck you've done so much damage to the farmers land he is unlikely to want you back :yes:

Here's the sort of small winch I was talking about, http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/pdf/winch%20in%20a%20box.pdf

Though this has a mount for a tow ball.

I find a winch on the truck very useful, but 90% of the time it not being used to move a stuck land rover, rather, it is being used to move items or help with taking down trees. The last use it got was to help extract a partially buried boat from the beach.

It also depends on the terrain around you. If it is flat as the proverbial then you're less likley to run into trouble. If you have to climb up slate rock steps then things become a little trickier.