Dogs for wildfowling

Tinribz

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers kent . See you there on sunday riptide , make your self known.

tis ok, I have only ever seen her as displaying sound temperament and even though i see other examples of the breed far less so I strongly suspect that its a poor UK gene pool and the breed attracting the wrong owner (who revels in the reputation) that is much to blame

Well KENT I give you full marks in not giving up in trying to belittle the Chesapeake, take your last post you put """" even though I see other examples of the breed far less so I strongly suspect that it’s a poor UK gene pool """

What on earth makes you think the UK gene pool is poor beggar’s belief as they are wanted all around the world for their excellent type and health status, and their excellent working ability,

As with any numerically small breed one has to always look for bringing fresh blood in ,why this also happens in Labs but as their are many more thousands of these one does not have to go so far .Having said that most Chessies are bred from UK stock .

You then go on to post """ and the breed attracting the wrong owner (who revels in the reputation) that is much to blame """ Blame???? Blame for what??? It seems only to blame for your own very blinkered view of Chesapeake’s!

Why only this weekend I attended a Chesapeake working test up near Manchester on the high moors and an excellent time had by all and congratulations to Anthonychez who is on this forum for his great dog work and well deserved Win and placings in the different levels. may I point out that not one Chesapeake bit anybody ,nor did they bite each other ( much to your annoyance ) the odd grumble when one or two came face to face ,but nothing different than any breed of dogs meeting up like that .

. And as for many years I have attended the Essex Joint Council of Wildfowlers yearly dog test as some on here will know ,over all that time the different Chesses I have taken with me have never caused any of the trouble you cast two thirds of the breed as so doing !

Yes they are a breed that Guards and protects but over the years that very strong trait in those early dogs has been watered down to make them acceptable to the present UK society... Living as I do on a open farm its great to have dogs about that do tell me when strangers are present and also look after my car or van when in it .having put that their are lots of farms round me were I will not step out of my van till the owner of their dog is in sight and they have all sorts of breed from Labs to Spaniels to terriers!!

So it just seems a shame to me that you’re outdated and clouded view of Chesapeake’s as you put in your posts on here might put some of having one. When 30 years and more ago I was shooting the Ouse Washes I was as far as I know the only one doing so with a Chesapeake but now you can find maybe 10 to 20 Chessies with their owners using those inland washes!! Two years back I met up with three other fowlers in Montrose Basin car park one dark morning and we all had Chesapeake’s and also the Warden who was their to check passes had one as well as he wildfowl’s with it ..

So may I thank you for your posts as it has allowed me the chance to put the record straight and to show a much better and informed view of Chesapeake’s here in the UK today, and if anyone wants more info on the breed do get in touch with me and I will try to help you out...Mind you they can be hard to come by as only about 150 pups are born each year as against up to 50,000 Labs that are born and registered with the Kennel Club on a yearly basis !(and that does not include al those labs born and not registered )

Riptide.

1.Small uk numbers equals poor gene pool, 2. Breed info is on the breed club site (its about the only one that comes with lots of talk of character traits and having the right owner). I have nothing against Chessies other than a fair proportion of the breed have an inflated idea of their status in life. Look again at the breed club site as re-homers come up "home without children", "home without other dogs" etc. This doesn't mean they are all bad and neither have I (indeed I have suggested to Antony I shouldn't mind a pup from his if he took that route and found a great sire)

Well done Antony on your win :good:

I also live on such a property and the very last thing I need is a dog making decisions about who is and isn't welcome, in deed I was out back painting yesterday with the dog milling about on the lawn behind and the postie rolled up at the front without me hearing him come down the track , what he got was a happy greeting same as all get. Often we get lost walkers turn up at random, although it can be annoying and those that get bolshy get the sharp side of my tounge I don't particularly want them attacked because my dog had a strong guarding trait.

Oh well I see that you are set in your ways Kent, you take little notice if any of what I post, but then that is your choice, you seem to have this block that most Chessies are like what they were 40 years ago and way back to when they did have to protect their owners and what belonged to their owners as in those long gone days it was a different world to what it is now..I have a feeling from what you preach about Chessies that you have gained most of your limited insight from books and older ones at that...

Yes my Chessies protect my home by barking to let us know that some one is about, this also tells whoever it is that they have been seen, In Fact no different to what my Daughter in laws Lancashire Heelers do. My Chesapeake’s do not attack as you try to show by saying """I don't particularly want them attacked because my dog had a strong guarding trait.""" As I am on a farm we tend to get the travelling fraternity turn up and if my dog keeps them in their van, then good as we have had enough trouble from them in recent years... In fact most times they Smile at visitors which is fine as most people take this trait they have as a snarl or growl! .

I have even shown that I attend all sorts of events up and down the country with my dogs with out all the problems you say they have, as I own three by your very words two of them must be terrible and a risk to all ! .

If you dont care to read what I have put and want to continue believing your own opinuated words then their is no hope for you as far as Chessies go and you would to me be just the sort of person who I would rule out as being a good owner for one ,and I have turned some away .in the past ... I had a good friend a wildfowler but also a field trials man ,a good one as well but with Labs ,he wanted to try one at trials I against my better judgement gave in to his pleas and said it had to be a bitch .but no he insisted a male ,and so at 18 months he found it was not a Lab and so moved it on to a good fowling home were its still working now !!

Anyway Kent enjoys your dogs like I do mine and we will have to just beg to differ

Edited by riptide

No first hand (though your mention of recorded text brings up thoughts of smoke and fire admittedly) one was one of the best trained dogs I have seen right up until the owner shut the car boot and it went bananas at him, that guy was ex-breed committee and a FT judge btw and a very experienced fowler and gundog man indeed and honest enough to say every chessie he had owned was different but they all had the same heightened status issues. This is not an isolated single incident, though it was the one that sealed my decision not to buy one as I was looking at the time. So now I have given you another answer to your thoughts that I get everything from books old books at that and am some kind of Walt I feel we should pack it in because you will support the breed to your last breath.

I think I am quite clear as I have said to him before, I should consider a pup of Antony's if he thought of breeding and the stud was its equal and my wife still fancies one . When I am too old and feeble to scare off the undesirables that turn up looking round my buildings I shall maybe get a GSD or Mal and have told her the same because I feel they are the best at the task in hand and I don't want a gundog to do such things in the field and make its own choices (perhaps this "thinking for themselves" is why they make better fowling dogs than they do FT dogs?)

Thanks Kent for reply ,,Now you mention it my partener had a GSD that did just the same in to estate car and it went ballistic,round and round teeth at the glass !! ,mind you it was a good Trials dog (Working ) TDX if I remember ,I was at that time doing summer trials and training as its great to keep dog on the go health and brain wise ,My Chesapeak then managed to get CDX ,and I was working towards TDX but that needed alot more committment and fowling comes first for me ! so that was good enough for me as a summer fun time ,now I do agility with my present youngster and her dam has done me well at this with some good scores and rossets to boot ,and lots of clear rounds they are not as fast as collies but are precise giving me clear rounds .

Anyway as I have already put Kent , enjoy your dogs like I do mine and we will have to just beg to differ !

Cheers,,Riptide

Edited by riptide