Perfect day

TDRsniper

Chatting to one of my farmers over a pint on Friday evening, he told me that due to failure of a couple of wheat fields (they were under water for a while) he had just drilled and rolled barley into them and had seen a few pigeons on them; my buddy and I were keen to get out so went over on Saturday and pushed 300 birds off the biggest one and had a pleasant day taking a handful each with difficult conditions due to high winds.

Optimistic as I am and being off this week I decided to try again yesterday with my 12 yr old and his new 20bore Gunmark Kestrel, he has had air rifles for some years but keen to progress I got him this as a starter gun.

I set up with a right to left breeze but had to compromise with the sun directly in our faces, a nice hide built I set a pattern of 15 decoys mixed full and half shell flocked and tossed a coin to go with magnet or flapper as I could only find one battery, two dead birds whirling on the magnet at the back arm of the V pattern and immediately birds started coming in.

I cannot explain the feeling of absolute pride and relief as the boy quickly took his first bird with a massive grin on his face, we had action all day with a final tally of 32 retrieved and the happiest boy in the world with the 5 he took, I left him to shoot most but was pleased with my two left and rights

Sunshine shooting and a great day with my son.

post-51245-0-98988300-1397554527_thumb.jpg

A great day and fantastic memories for both of you, I bet your son will remember his first day and

shots for a long time .

My Son has just progressed from a Yildiz 410 to a yildiz 20 bore, he too had a grin from ear to ear on Saturday after getting 3 of the 9 we shot together. I decided to get him a full size gun and got it altered for him, this way I can always put back on the 2 inch and use it myself in my old age.

Size of bag is not always important, but quality time with my boy and teaching him the basics is time well spent.