Simple alternative to checkering

FalconFN

I bought another air rifle a few months ago, it was in a pretty bad state with a broken and repaired stock and terrible performance. I have just about sorted it out so it shoots accurately and consistently (it was shooting between 9.5 to 12 ft lbs per fill and it had 1 foot groups at 30 yards!), so I thought is improve the stock a bit. The break was right through the pistol grip and the checkering had been sanded down so low that someone had added a few grooves here and there. I used a soldering iron to burn a stippled grip which seems to have worked fairly well and has covered some of the repair. It isn't perfect by any means but still worth doing as an experiment.

post-20802-0-99827100-1397676886_thumb.jpgpost-20802-0-18930900-1397676917_thumb.jpgpost-20802-0-37030700-1397676953_thumb.jpg

post-20802-0-15760300-1397677011_thumb.jpg

Last one

Not as long as you may think, each burn takes between half a second to a second and it was done on top of the old checkering. A quick rub with wire wool and a wipe with oil and it was done. I think it took 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour to do.

To be honest I don't especially like the dark effect but it is better than it was and it has much better grip.