Denton & Kennell 12 Bore SBS

Denton & Kennel are a Gunshop in Somerton Somerset. They bring in (brought in) some cheapo Spanish guns and had them finished here.

They were made in Spain by a company call JABALI. They look fine when 'in the white' but the lockwork is not particularly good metal is not of the same grade as would be used by an English Lockmaker and could be said to be somewhat 'soft' even after their hardening process. All parts were poorly finished in comparison to an English Gun but there again the prices were comparatively cheap.

This results in early wear and of course subsequent problems if the gun is heavily used. They were very expensive for the quality if fully finished in the UK because of UK prices but D&K also brought in engraved barreled actions as well as fully stocked engraved actions which were selling for less than £1000 retail when finished.

If you haven't bought one I suggest you don't. If you have I am sorry if I have upset you.

Hope that helps,

M

If you haven't bought one I suggest you don't. If you have I am sorry if I have upset you.

Whoops, :stupid::stupid::stupid::good::yes::yes:

only paid £50 for it though, but it actually seems a well put together gun, compared to the Urgarchtea I've got.

At £50 who cares. Now if you had said £500 well...............

Denton & Kennel are a Gunshop in Somerton Somerset. They bring in (brought in) some cheapo Spanish guns and had them finished here.

They were made in Spain by a company call JABALI. They look fine when 'in the white' but the lockwork is not particularly good metal is not of the same grade as would be used by an English Lockmaker and could be said to be somewhat 'soft' even after their hardening process. All parts were poorly finished in comparison to an English Gun but there again the prices were comparatively cheap.

This results in early wear and of course subsequent problems if the gun is heavily used. They were very expensive for the quality if fully finished in the UK because of UK prices but D&K also brought in engraved barreled actions as well as fully stocked engraved actions which were selling for less than £1000 retail when finished.

Hope that helps,

M

there was a gun shop in somerton but he pulled out must be 10 years ago.i bought a air rifle there.

• 1 year later...

Yes, they are now sold by Somerton Guns in Somerton. The higher grade D&K guns were made by the Spanish outfit Diego Goodayle [allegedly]. The gun barrels were reasonable, engraving on double action was quite good, the wood was nice, but the action was an utter rubbish. poor metal quality, poor workmanship and non existent heat treatment. My friends at Gunmark in Greenford [long time ago] made a comment .... that it was probably the worse made action they had ever seen. :(

• 3 years later...

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I have a D&K SBS 12b.

Bought it for £75, about 10yrs ago.

When I got it, it's barrels were a bit pale, but the insides were mint. Rubbed the outers over with some bluein (the wax-type stuff that comes in a tub, don't know if you can still get it or not, my Dad had it in his garage for years).

Anyway, it looks like new now. Even 10yrs later! Give it the odd rub-over with 3in1 oil now and again to keep rust at bay. It's chambered for 3" Carts. I bought it specifically for Wildfowling, so as not to "mess up" my Clay guns. It's dropped geese and duck for fun with Bismuth 3" cartridges.

Since I moved to a more rural area from when I 1st bought it, and got some more local land to shoot over, I now use it as my rough shooting gun too. It now drops Woodies very well too! I use White Rabbit 2.75" No.5's, 32-ish g loads. Quite a heavy load for Woodies, but I don't batter them - I just shoot what I'm going to eat (and the farmer is happy with that - as long as I sort him some out too!)

I've even taken it out to the Clay Ground too, and it hasn't disgraced itself. Any shots I've missed, I couldn't have hit with my Lanber Sportser OU nor my Beretta Silver Pigeon OU - I'm confident of that. The misses were down to me.

And the meals we've had on the table for a "shoddy" £75 gun - well... It's more than paid for itself if you ask me (or my family who enjoyed those afore-mentioned meals!) ;)

Yes, they are now sold by Somerton Guns in Somerton. The higher grade D&K guns were made by the Spanish outfit Diego Goodayle [allegedly]. The gun barrels were reasonable, engraving on double action was quite good, the wood was nice, but the action was an utter rubbish. poor metal quality, poor workmanship and non existent heat treatment. My friends at Gunmark in Greenford [long time ago] made a comment .... that it was probably the worse made action they had ever seen. :(

Good Lord! are they still trading? Once bought a 12 bore SLE from Somerton. Cosmetically, it was fine and shot OK but it weighed a ton. Took it apart to give it a good service and noted where stamped, all the components had different serial numbers.