New Distance Record For The Hornet/Mini Colibri

wymberley

Some 30 yards from the car there was long (2 to 3') grass which stretched back some 50 yards before giving me a shorter grass killing ground of some 90 to 130 yards before I lost the backstop. Not the one I was after but a small fox appeared too close to the backstop limit to shoot and crossed the field right to left before disappearing into the wood. Something wasn't right though, it was limping on all four legs. It must have turned left and was coming down through the wood when I queaked and entered the field in the long grass. First I knew was when the head and shoulders appeared from said grass. It stood there patiently while I remembered to change the scope focus and climb half way out of the car door window to bring the rifle to bear. It took the SPSX between the eyes.

She was the oldest fox I've ever shot. Her tummy/teats looked just like the pictures you see of breed bitches abused by unscrupulous breeders and her toe nails were an incredible length which might just explain her gait. Teeth worn right down but otherwise she was in a surprisingly good condition.

34 paces is the closest I've ever managed to deliberately pull one in.