Mk1 Airsporter..... Shes a bit sick :( and a quesy Meteor!

Zenduri

Good stuff, the stock is taking shape nicely. The alloy trigger blocks are a pain to spray as they don't seem to like holding on to paint. I used zinc primer and then standard black top coat which I baked on but still wasn't that hard wearing. Not sure if powered coating is an option but it may well work out better.

• 6 months later...

Holy Necro post!

Well it's been a long time but i've finally picked this back up again. Life intervened but I'm now back to get on with this and get them both restored.

In the new few weeks I'm going to look to send the Airsporter off to Colin Malloy to be hot blued. I've tidied up the Airsporter stock a bit more and sanded and shaped it further, I've managed to work out some more of the dings on the stock too.
I've gave it another wash down once i had finished today (see pics below). I also redefined the butt stock groves with a warding file as they had become squashed and misshapen (Pic below is of the meteor stock but has been done on both)

Main reason I'm doing the stocks at the moment is I want to start applying Tru oil soon so i took the stock off my Mk 2 Meteor to tidy that one up before continuing with the Airsporter stock. I'll use the Meteor as a practice piece (obviously trying to make a good job of the Metor) then I'll move onto the Airsporter once I'm more confident.

Side note anyone know what wood the Mk 2 Meteor stock is? (Lighter one)

These were photos originally taken when i first opened the thread and you can see the stock conditions:

lMQvob2.jpg
YV5md8R.jpg

Today's pics after i finished work and sat down with them (Darker one is the Airsporter):
5lNG0JC.jpg

After Washing them down again:

qMo44tG.jpg
fpxB3I7.jpg

Filed out and redefined the butt stock groves on both (Meteor below)

ogq08aU.jpg

Edited by Zenduri

Surely anodising is the way to go on these breech blocks? I have one from a mk 1 bsa mercury which is fantastic which needs doing at some point.

That's a bloody good idea actually. I've been doing a fair bit of reading and watching home anodizing setups following your post and to be honest it doesn't look/sound that hard to do