any one using 6mmbr for deer ?

Not sure but I think it's not fast enough for roe deer. Why go to all the trouble with cases ( trimming, neck turning, ect.). By all accounts it's a good long range fox round but why not go for a .260 or 7mm-08. Easy to load for and will kill any thing in the UK. Or if you must go 6mm get a 6mm Remington. I had one ( ruger no.1) that ran at 3000+ fps with 100 grain bullets.

Hi any body using 6mmbr for deer

as i am awaiting my build and will be mainly used for roe and muntjac, want to use 100gr pro hunters if poss

just wondering what your using in your ,powder,bullet,primer, velocity ????

thanks

If you can get it deer legal (can be hard depending on barrel etc) for all deer then the 100 grain pro-hunter will do the job just fine. Your issue is more feed related in a case developed for single shot actions. Now why? you don't need the slight accuracy gains it (a benchest case) might give off the bench I have never met and never will meet the man who can use the difference in the stalking field

Not sure but I think it's not fast enough for roe deer. Why go to all the trouble with cases ( trimming, neck turning, ect.). By all accounts it's a good long range fox round but why not go for a .260 or 7mm-08. Easy to load for and will kill any thing in the UK. Or if you must go 6mm get a 6mm Remington. I had one ( ruger no.1) that ran at 3000+ fps with 100 grain bullets.

ive done my home work before i started this and i will be able to get it deer legal for the English roe and muntjac using 90 to 100 gr bullets

as i am starting with a 24in barrel

If you can get it deer legal (can be hard depending on barrel etc) for all deer then the 100 grain pro-hunter will do the job just fine. Your issue is more feed related in a case developed for single shot actions. Now why? you don't need the slight accuracy gains it (a benchest case) might give off the bench I have never met and never will meet the man who can use the difference in the stalking field

Thanks for your response , my build is on a tikka 595 ,308 bolt face , with a varmint pac-nor 8 twist ss barrel , i have managed to get hold of a 22,250 [595] 3 shot mag,

and from what i can see online and my smith has done quite a few in the same format , it should feed well [we shall see :lol: ] , it will be mainly used for woodland stalking on roe and muntjac , but have recently been doing a bit of long range varminting with my 6.5x55 longest shot so far on a bunnie was 600yrds in a 10 mile an hour wind so i would like to get this 6mmbr bugholeing and use it at longer ranges on gongs

Hi, I run a 6mm PPC on deer, never had one fail to drop on the spot not that I have shot many with it. I also run a 20BR so am familiar with the case.

Assuming you are in the UK your rifle should generate a minimum of 1700 ft lbs. I drive a 68gr bullet ( Barts usually) at 3385 fps for 1704 ft ls, that is a hot load in my book but a par for the course one in bench rest circles. The BR case has around 10% more capacity and will be able to handle all the smaller deer up to Fallow does given a maximum range of 150 yards.

Personally I would be looking to use a bullet with a weight in the low/mid 80grs and drive it reasonably fast.

A

Thanks for your response , my build is on a tikka 595 ,308 bolt face , with a varmint pac-nor 8 twist ss barrel , i have managed to get hold of a 22,250 [595] 3 shot mag,

and from what i can see online and my smith has done quite a few in the same format , it should feed well [we shall see :lol: ] , it will be mainly used for woodland stalking on roe and muntjac , but have recently been doing a bit of long range varminting with my 6.5x55 longest shot so far on a bunnie was 600yrds in a 10 mile an hour wind so i would like to get this 6mmbr bugholeing and use it at longer ranges on gongs

You see you said it was to be a Deer rifle, if you said another toy then my response might have been much different . Nothing wrong with toys of course, I just thought you were looking for a practical answer to the questions posed

A nice stock may help ;) Edited by Amazed