Walt in the Forest!

secretagentmole

Well finally I have a working Walther RM8. The beast is running 10 .73 ft lb in .177 using Defiant Ogives. The cocking is much better than the R8 in .22 that I originally had. The trigger seems better too! Had QD studs fitted after checking the power this time (see I do learn).

Went down to the permission to set the scope up. Took lunch with me. The Co-op have a special on Mr Kipling mince pies 25p a box! Took a box of those with me too!

Get down and find that like on the previous Walther the rear mount needs shims! Idiot here forgot the shims. Mince pies come in thick foil dishes. Improvised some shims, going to replace those next time I take it out!

Anyway managed to get it zeroed and there was plenty of pressure left. So I decided to let The Major have a go at pigeon shooting.

First couple came in and settled in a tree 10 yards away. A nice tall birch. Got a good line on the head, pull, thwack of pellet hitting home. Thwack of pigeon hitting the deck. Retrieved and a few more settled on the big oak to the left. Aim, fire, in ditch. Managed to get it out though! A big wave came in behind me, I managed to turn and stalk to a firing position. Another one bit the dust. Number 4 landed just as I got back to the firs I use for cover. Direct ahead and in the same birch as number 1, not the same branch though. It too fell to a Defiant Ogive. Then there was a lull before another big wave came in. I managed to get a line on one. Another pigeon bit the leaves.

Some pigeons landed in the far empty tree. I stalked up using the laurels as cover. I hit the one highest up and it fell into a damned great fir tree and disappeared. I could not see where it went. So it is somewhere up there!

IMG_20150116_173720_zps02f45a10.jpg

Not bad for his first day out!

Well done! What a cracking first outing for the R8. I went out with decoys , Hatstand pump, pop up hide , and all I got was muddy and cold. :sad1:

I quite fancy one of those 'Walters', but can't bear to part with my S410,, S200, HW95. StoegerX20S.( I mean which ones would i sell).

Keep us informed, how the Walthers going.

The Walther is a long gun (with a silencer on) so I would keep the 200 for hide work. The shot count on the Walther is high, very high. In essence I think all this gun is is an Airmagnum 850 with a 13 ounce regulated paintball bottle on in a fancy Minelli stock!

don't be cruel mole ,,its a smashing gun for the money otherwise you would not have one,,just like your hatsans :whistling::whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Don't get me wrong Evo, it is an accurate gun that works surprisingly well given the very low price. The Minelli is a love it or hate piece of wood sculpture and the cocking on this one is nice even though it is new. However anybody with an Airmagnum can save the money by buying a regulated air bottle! The stock is really a love it or hate it piece of design!

If you are a DIY freak you could get an Airmagnum for £270 and a regulated air bottle for about £40. With a little work you can have the same gun mechanism for £90 less!

Edited by secretagentmole

I can agree mole but it wouldn,t be an r8 then now would it,, have to be honest I quite liked the R8 when my shooting bud brought his round and have to say was very impressed for the money just how well built it was,,you are certainly paying for the minelli stock though as you say but they seem a pretty accurate little thing,,mind you what walther barrel isnt