Rats

ilovemyheckler

I have noticed that we have a few rats about the place. They have dug under the dog kennels and also into the chicken coup on the lawn. I think that they may have even been into the nesting box and taken eggs - do rats eats eggs?

I have seen a couple and they look surprisingly healthy with very shiny clean fur.

I don't see how I can use poison due to the dogs and chickens so I thought I could have some fun with my air rifle?

What is the best time of the day to shoot rats?

How do I encourage them out into the open?

Any other advice?

I don't have to worry about neighbours as there are no houses within 1/2 a mile.

Edited by ilovemyheckler

I have noticed that we have a few rats about the place. They have dug under the dog kennels and also into the chicken coup on the lawn. I think that they may have even been into the nesting box and taken eggs - do rats eats eggs?

I have seen a couple and they look surprisingly healthy with very shiny clean fur.

I don't see how I can use poison due to the dogs and chickens so I thought I could have some fun with my air rifle?

What is the best time of the day to shoot rats?

How do I encourage them out into the open?

Any other advice?

I don't have to worry about neighbours as there are no houses within 1/2 a mile.

Do it at dusk mate best time and get them out by spreading peanut butter along the floor close enough to tempt them but far away to be in the open. Try a red light or NV set up to get maximum amount.

Yes they will eat eggs, they will also eat young chicks. If they are in your garden you can try and get them used to some kind of dim light. When we had them in the garden, I baited them out with poridge oats and popped 6 off during the day and never seen once since. Keep your feed neat and tidy with your chickens or dog food as I presume this is what is attracting them in the first place. Good luck :good:

KR