Subsonic or not?

I've virtually convinced myself l truely need a moderator on my old Webley & Scott .410. ... lve been offered a removeable type for £120. Have read up about the moderator "Hushpower removeable type" .. it recommends subsonic cartridges. which obviouly makes sense. ...having the auld W&S .410 l'm restricted to 2.5" & 2" cartridges from the off ... what lm wondering is, if l were to use the standard 2.5" eley 12.5g furlong and the Lylevale 14g cartridges, would l basically be wasting my time and money regards a signicicant noise reduction ...

lts not that at times l won't use subsonic cartridges, its just l'd like to be able to use both and still have a reduction in noise that is worth me purchasing the moderator. Anyone had experience with a similar conundrum ?

A moderator will quieten even a standard load considerably , When i had one I never found a huge difference between those and subsonic so just used standard .

What is the price of a new hushpower moderator from the saddelry and gun room as £120 for a secondhand one seems expensive , thought they are only £90 ish new .

I wrote a wanted on PW for a moderator .. a member off PW, PM'd me saying he was selling one for £120. The removeable type. I looked on the internet and found the Saddelry & gun room selling theirs for £75. I PM'd the guy back and mentioned this. He said although they advertise the .410 "removeable moderator as just that, in reality its semi permannant fittings wise. A collar has to be machined to fit barrel taper, and that l would incur costs for the fitting ring to be engineered. He mentioned there was another similar version that doesn't use a pressed on collar, and it was a genuine removeable type moderator. This latter version is the one he was offering to sell me for £120 plus postage. I might added, when l enquired he assurred me it was a brand new sealed in the box kit. He added he was wondering if l thought he was trying to rob me! ... l can only guess him asking me this because l'd mentioned the Hushpower moderator on the Saddlery and gun rooms had what l thought, was a removeable .410 moderator new for £75 ... suppose it served me right for enquiring lol ...

Edited by hoggysreels

I was extremely disappointed with with Eley subs compared to just 2" fiocchi. Both produce a bit of a crack so my guess both are supersonic when they leave the barrel. The fiocchi are only 9g and that does the job very well on squirrels! The Eley are twice as big at 18g so hit that bit harder.

The moderator completely removes the need for ear protection so that should show you how much effect the moderator has. In my case I have an area that is surrounded by houses so with the Mossburg I can shoot right up to their garden boundary and not have to worry about noise.