burghley game fair

dessyb

Never attended it, although living close by. Some years ago, they would have liked the CLA Game Fair at Burghley again, but what with the horse trials only a short while later and the risk of a wet weekend for the fair, the idea was scrubbed. That was back when Victoria Leatham was at the helm, so a few years back.

It was held there in '63, but far smaller than currently. My first Game Fair visit was at Shotover in '65. Aiming for Harewood House, yet again, rather than the Burghley effort. So my impression is that it is a bit limited in size.... so CLA is favourite, even if a costly day out.

just woundered had any members visited before was it any good. was going to go to the yorks show but i think it s run by the same people that ran the doncaster flop

The people running The Yorkshire Game Fair this bank holiday weekend have nothing to do with Doncaster

This will be the fifth year we have done the clay line there, which we have plenty room to set the shoot up. One of the main problems doing shoots at country fairs is lack of space. The show is always well attended and their is always something going on in the main arena and plenty of other things to see or do. Its not trying to be the CLA or Midland but a tenner for pre brought tickets isn't bad

I went last year (it rained) and it was okay but obviously no CLA and probably not as big as the larger shows.

I'm trying to remember the clay line and really couldn't tell you what they had on.

I remember lots of demo's, fishing and some gundog field trials.

It was a nice day out in a nice venue but not loads of shooting related stuff.

I've been for the last 3-4 years, as Hedge says, it's not overly shooting orientated, but plenty of stalls, lots in the ring, plenty of big marquees, fishing and gun dog demos etc, all in all, pretty good. I usually end up with a few shirts etc for the coming season.

AB

So is there a sporting layout there, or just a have-a-go stand this weekend? It's not very obvious from the event website.

http://livingheritagecountryshows.com/2015-provisional-show-dates/burghley-lincs/attractions-at-burghley/

I receive e-mails from Gunstar and they always send out an e-mail from living heritage, and other fairs to be fair i have pasted some of the info it has on it, its a bit more detailed than the website, this is just a snippet but its relating to shooting/fishing

"Don't forget to pop down to the Field sports area, where you could have a go at clay shooting, or air rifles. And if your kids are into Hunger Games you cannot miss the archery tent, where our very own 'Katniss Everdean' will teach you how to hit the target.

We also have an impressive Angling area at Burghley, with our usual favourites – the Angling Trust, Salmon and Trout Association and the Rod Clinic. Also local club the Featherbenders, Casting for Heroes and Lincolnshire Rivers Trust. Competitions for the beginner through to experienced, or simply have a go! Plenty of fish in that river (don't worry – they all get thrown back in after the photographs!)

So from the thrills and spills of the Andy Singleton arena, the excitement of the gun dog displays, through to the more gentle craft tents to explore, with glass blowing demonstrations and speed carves in the chainsaw area, vintage vehicles by the river, there really is something for everyone at the Burghley Game and Country Fair this May"