Today's news

Guttersnipe

I just thought i'd vent my frustration at the appalling journalism that has been evident throughout today with regards the recent research calling for a lead-shot ban. The repeated citing of research from none objective bodies like the RSPB and WWT along with the regular use of such vague terms as may, could and suggests is incredibly slewed and is yet another example of our sports poor treatment by the press. It's now not just about the wildfowl's well-being but a wider public health issue with everyone at risk from exposure to lead in game (try telling all the 80+ year olds in our wildfowling club that)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34861602

I only use non-toxic shot for all my shooting, largely because the wildfowl clubs i'm a member of take the law so seriously they conduct regular warden checks and it's instant dismissal for even being in possession of lead - so it isn't worth the risk of mixing cartridges.

The problem clearly isn't wildfowlers as i doubt many of us sell duck to dealers to be accessible for testing, but we all know there are ducks shot with lead and until shoots enforce the non-toxic regs for the post pheasant duck drives or early season duck days, we will continue to furnish our enemies with the ammunition required to get the lead ban made law.

Whilst i realise the futility of my annoyance and the helplessness of our position, i knew it'd strike a chord with those on the forum.

GS

The lead found in game dealers ducks comes direct from game shooters and these morons will be the first to start whining when lead is banned .Sadly a lot of game shoots can be arrogant and think they are above the law .

If they choose to ignore the ban why do the thick clowns still sell to the game dealers ! they deserve a lead ban pure and simple they have nobody to blame but themselves,

You are not on your own GS drives me round the bend.

I in no way condone, in fact I despair at the shooting of reared duck with lead on game shoots by game shots, because firstly it is is illegal and secondly it is giving the anti shooting brigade the ammunition to push for a complete ban on lead shot! however even I as a wildfowler cannot/do not understand how it came about that it is legal to shoot a pheasant, partridge or woodcock over a stubble field with lead but it is illegal to shoot a duck over the same stubble field with lead?

So how do the authorities expect compliance with legislation from those that cannot/do not understand the purpose of said legislation, especially as compliance is certainly not without financial implications?

Strange is it not that some game shooters on here blame wildfowlers for the looming lead ban .

I dont want to see lead banned , but on a personal level I would happily shoot steel for everything .

The legislation as it is at the minute is a joke , any lead ban needs to be area specific not species and it needs proper checks to enforce it and lets face it that is going to be unlikely.

Strange is it not that some game shooters on here blame wildfowlers for the looming lead ban .

I dont want to see lead banned , but on a personal level I would happily shoot steel for everything .

The legislation as it is at the minute is a joke , any lead ban needs to be area specific not species and it needs proper checks to enforce it and lets face it that is going to be unlikely.

Absolutly the Scotish approach is a better oner in my opinion.