Weight of lead

Hi guys

Im sorry if this has been asked before but i did search the forum and couldnt find any answers.

If a reloading recipe ask for say 28grams of No 7.5 lead shot would i be right in thinking that i could replace it with 28grams of No 9 lead shot and it wouldnt be harmfull as long as the weight is the same.

Does this theory also work on larger shot. So 36grams of No 4 could be swapped for 36grams of No 6.

Also does any body know of a equivilent primer to a Fiocchi 616. Would a CX2000 work. I know you should always stick to the recipe but i have heard of primer swaps in the past.

Thanks

Styla

The difference could be substantial

The performance of a shell, are determined by the pressure developing in the barrel, this is directly affected by the opposition of the pellet column to the gasses which generates when the power is ignited.

Reducing the pellets size dramatically implies the obstruction in the barrel will be different and affect the performance of the shell.

Likewise, the pellets will be more affected in the barrel by the turbulence generated by the gasses which are allowed through the voids created by the lack of power.

Changing from 5 to 7, 8 even, would not affect the load drastically, but moving anymore than 3 sizes will require adjustments (such as the addition of 0.005 grams or a stiffer wad, etc.)

forgot to say,

CX are widely inconsistent, it's not unknown for CX1000 to be as hot as Fiocchi 616 depending on batches.

Also, CX2000 are more similar to Martignoni U688 than 616, but generally speaking the few tens of bar added, would not be deterimental to the overall performance.

this is more evident on smaller bores or more sensitive recipes.