17 hmr split cases.......

• 3 months later...
Look *** the answer was from hornady NOT me they did the tests!! they stated its the annealing and that it affected the NECKS? if you can be bothered to do a search of the yank forums you will see this has been an ongoing issue for a number of years even to the point that a safety notice was issued about the use of the .17 hmr round in semi auto's due to the cases splitting as a result of "bad brass"

Owners of remmington, savage, marlin, cz, anshutz,etc etc have reported split cases so hornady did the tests and gave you your answer.

If you feel they are wrong and that you know better please feel free to take the issue up with hornady the contact number is in the reply I posted

cheers KW

Hi guys, My personal experience with split cases is not restricted to fired ones, I am having trouble with hangfires even to the point of having projectiles stuck in the chamber, not a fantastic situation to be in when your miles away from your cleaning rod to push the sucker out. The failure rate was obout 10% of all my ammo, you could even see them through the sides of the unopened packs. My local retailer swapped the remainder of what I had left of a brick of 500. At first all seemed ok, I opened 150 of 300 to check and all was good, however some months passed before I had the opportunity to use this firearm again only to experience 3 hangfires. So I checked out my remaining 150 rounds only to find another 9 already split from the throat down to the neck. I am sure these splits are letting in the moisture, hence the hangfires. My understanding of hornadys production techniques is that they neck down already primed brass, hence why they cannot reanneal the case, the stress on such a thin wall causes them to crack and split. I am also thinking that it is also related to how long the ammo has been kicking around. (Fresh is best). My question to all other 17hmr users is, do all the other brands have the same problem? Looking forward to hearing from someone , regards Daveinoz. ps I have photos

Look *** the answer was from hornady NOT me they did the tests!! they stated its the annealing and that it affected the NECKS? if you can be bothered to do a search of the yank forums you will see this has been an ongoing issue for a number of years even to the point that a safety notice was issued about the use of the .17 hmr round in semi auto's due to the cases splitting as a result of "bad brass"

Owners of remmington, savage, marlin, cz, anshutz,etc etc have reported split cases so hornady did the tests and gave you your answer.

If you feel they are wrong and that you know better please feel free to take the issue up with hornady the contact number is in the reply I posted

cheers KW

• 4 years later...

Who dragged this 4.5 year old thread up?

Perhaps some need to read the opening link...Bob Palmer at Hornady, in an e-mailed reply to George’s enquiry:

Just the same, it is obvious that some chambers will be a fraction different size, and maintained to a higher or lower standard, and my suspicion is that those who don't have this problem, have simply not noticed (I have well over 50 split cases now, that I have found, but not one has caused any issue in firing or accuracy).

Problems can be exacerbated by many factors, but the underlying issue is an inherent, and currently incurable flaw in the case manufacturing process!

Edited by Dekers

As I have stated in a previous post, I actually went through all the boxes of Hornady blue tips. I opened all the sealed boxes and found numerous live rounds to be split. I only checked them due to the fact that I too had a hang fire and found a few split cases after firing whist out hunting. Since I have removed all the damaged live rounds I have not had a single problem, be it split case or hang fires. This tells me that the problem is the ammo. :good: