shooting over cut grass

jonno 357

They might be after the clover. My grass fields were cut for silage a few weeks ago and, although it took a few days, the pigeons were all over them. Fields which were cut later have attracted rooks and jackdaws in large flocks but the pigeons are just taking to the barley. Some barley is cut on my boundary and no doubt will be cut very soon on my ground. Roll on!!

Went out yesterday for a quiet walk around with one of my old hammerguns, and ended up shooting under a hedge as dozens of pigeons flew over.

I don’t know where they were coming from, or going to, but I had a really great couple of hours, until my cartridge belt ran out. :lol:

I haven’t seen that many birds for over 3 years so hopefully they have come back into the area. :lol:

G.M.

Edited by Gemini

Just got back from 5 hour stint for 62 birds !

Decoyed to a fresh cut hay field. Wouldnt normally shoot his time of year but a local farmer rang me on Friday and said the birds were pitching into his wheat field to one area of laid wheat the size of 1/2 a football pitch.

Problem is its a 40 acre field and the laid part was right in the middle with no cover and being so hot I set up in the corner of another field and laid out the deeks in the short grass. With some shade under a large ash it was quiet for the first 30 minutes and then birds came steadily in groups of 8 and 10.

I have never seen so many birds congregated in this particular area before, They were leaving the dense woodland roosts in the Stroud valley where I live and were really preoccupied with feeding. There are many young birds amongst them.

When I left the birds were still pitching into the shell decoys whilst I was taking down my Hide. It seemed like every bird in South Glos was in the air today and I am sure I could have had a 100 bird day if I didnt have to take the wife out!!! :lol:

FM.

Ditto Mike

128 woodies between two. Theses woodies were kamikazi ones. they just kept coming and coming. They were queuing up on fence posts power lines. You name it they were coming from all directions

Happy days back again

Now going to watch Monti kick the Tigers **** :lol:

Jonno

Come on Mike , tell us how many carts you fired  :lol:

And tell them pigeons  to come up to north Glos  :lol:

Barry Ive got some new contact lenses and had a couple of corporate clay days so i loosed of 31/2 boxes. :lol: :o :lol:

I might just add that 1/2 the bird shot were landing amongst the deeks which makes it a little easier :lol:

FM

Ps plus I lost 4 in the wheat.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a few woodies and crows over some cut grass today , but was also experimenting with different decoy patterns and observing the birds and how they land into them . Then whilst watching some woodies feeding on some clover I noticed something out of the corner of my eye , no less than 15 yards away an adult male roe deer was stood in front of the hide and started to munch on the grass . He stayed there for a couple of minutes in which time I wanted to grab my camera but it was at the bottom of my bucket seat and I did'nt want to scare him off , though eventually he walked on for another 20 yards where he must have caught a whiff of me as he then stood bolt upright with his nostrils twitching then turned and stared at the hide and set off at mach 3 across the field .

To be honest seeing this deer so close and the beauty of this wild beast , was better than the whole shooting morning . Now how many non shooters get to see nature in action so close up ? . :o

Sounds as if all you guys are getting some shooting over there now. I'm bloody jealous, time for me to go and book a flight home me thinks, and maybe get a bit of sport myself!!!!!!!!!

Mind you I've got a pair of Kingfishers in one of my Quarries at the moment that I've been watching which is really cool and breaks the monotony of the daily grind!

Good shooting all.

Hammy