I borrowed fleabags camcorder again

Dave-G

There's been an epidemic of rabbits this year with all the mild weather we have had - and they've bred like rabbits as they say. :good:

The golf course this clip was made on has umpteen rabbit scrapes all over it - anyone know what the scrapes are all about? I've seen it in the fields of a beef farm I shoot on too - yet some farms with rabbit problems have none of the scrapes. :blush:

If you have seen my other drive round vehicle lamping clips there's little different to be seen here apart from the location and it was recorded in a better quality mode so you can watch it in high grade mode if you click on the HQ tab. Some of the original quality has been lost in the YouTube compression and if you don't see the rabbit that's been shot try double-clicking the player window which takes it to full screen mode.

Unfortunately the camcorder has a very poor lowlight performance and what is lit up clearly for me to see is not always in the brightest part of the headlight beam. About 70% of the clips had to be edited out as they were not lit up enough for the camera to record but the need for quick shot placement is sometimes more important than catching it on camera when doing a cull. The last two scenes are of Hare's thinned out a tad just before dawn for two pensioner friends of mine.

Brilliant shooting Dave,

Are you using the car's light's to lamp them? :unsure:

Yes Lewis - look at the other clips in my "rabbit control Leicester" series to see the rifle rested - almost in the shooting position into the headlight lit area. The forestock is in the cavity between the mirror and the door frame so all it needs is the shooter to point the car in about the right direction - fine tune the aim and shoot. The rifle is held with the pistol grip in my hand which is rested on the window sill and the butt is ready to be brought into my shoulder as I am coming to a halt and leaning into the window frame. The shooter is totally rested and braced, and breathing calmly. Also it's possible for a right handed shot to shoot off the other mirror using his left hand and eye because the rifle is supported. The main hurdle for a right handed shot to attempt a lefty is that the stance would be too unusual and awkward. Try it - you'll be amazed at how doable it is provided your cheek is not obstructed by a roll over cheekpiece. If you look at about one minute into this clip you'll see the result of me and fleabag taking a pair almost simultaneously - though he edited it a bit bad so it looks like three shots were taken. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgBJpZCm9tU

The main thing here is that the shot can be taken almost as soon as the vehicle comes to a halt - much sooner than some of the scenes shown which were delayed for the benefit of getting the shot to be in the field of view of the camcorder.

Edited by Dave-G

• 2 weeks later...

i looked at some of the other clips on youtube, can anyone tell me why people seem to go rabbiting with larger cal guns which virtually destroy the rabbit doesn't anyone want the meat?

i only ask as at the minute i am struggling to find land since moving here and want rabbit to give the dog some healthy meat in his diet and mine too and to see people wasting it by blowing it to bits just so they can shove the clips on youtube when i am struggling for land guts me a bit to be honest.

i appreciate its their permission they've earned it and it's passed for such cals it just seems a little bit wasteful

some good shooting though :good: no complaints there im just jealous!

Because we can I guess - being very honest about it. Some of us have access to more than we strictly need, I consider myself very lucky to have rabbit infested places to shoot even when I'm on holiday.

Not much point in only using a bigger calibre for the bigger species if your mandate is vermin control and you only have one rifle with you. Thats all in addition to the plain fact that some places have a huge rabbit problem and some are vitually bare of bunny. The latter is frequently the cause of someone dealing with the issue - possibly to the point of overkill.

Some of us enjoy the odd long shot too - and it still gets some of the vermin control job done while varying the routine and justifying the acquision of a gun with long legs.

i wasn't really questioning why you use the larger cal as such, just why people don't want to use what they kill but like you said mate your fortunate and have too much land and too many rabbits and probably not enough freezer space, you lucky sod!

and i do appreciate a good long range effort and there was something strangely satisfying about watching rabbits explode.

i wasn't really questioning why you use the larger cal as such, just why people don't want to use what they kill but like you said mate your fortunate and have too much land and too many rabbits and probably not enough freezer space, you lucky sod!

and i do appreciate a good long range effort and there was something strangely satisfying about watching rabbits explode.

You're raising good points mate.

I have some permissions that I have overshot and now hardly ever go there. Heck I even see a few rabbits there lately and will one day shoot them again more sparingly. I guess part of it is that we sometimes like to aceive all that can be got out of say a car for example rather than use it only at 70mph.

I'm not well equipped for long range stuff yet as 17 rem is my maximum caliber - and I've had issues with the gun and my budget. Getting there slowly though. :good:

don't talk to me about budgets mate im redundant at the minute so mines non existant and they've stopped my job seekers because i've been out of work for 6months and my wife works, so apparently that means the fact i've paid in since i was 16 counts for nothing and i apparently dont deserve as much to live on as the smackheads and scumbags i see in the job centre.

anyway before i go off on one its easily done (overshooting) its not like they line up for a head count is it, although if they didit would be like waving a red rag at a bull and they'd all get it anyway