Any ideas about where to start

clueless1

Hi, I usually hang out in the pigeon section trying to find out how to do it right but thought I'd ask you good folk a question or two.

I'm thinking that I need to get myself a new air rifle. I've got my old webley vulcan from my childhood and thats OK, but life would be easier with something that took a magazine.

I'll be using it for rats and crows so, especially with crows, the less movement the better. I've been thinking about a CO2 powered gun but the number of shots is secondary really anything from about 5 up, most seem to be 8 - 12 anyway. 0.22 caliber.

Quietness is also important so a silencer/moderator is a must but would a pre-charger gun be quieter still or will it make little difference (can you charge direct from a compressor?). Powerwise, well I don't have (nor need really) a FAC, but a bit of an oomph wouldn't be a bad thing.

Got a scope so all ok there.

It really does not need to be anything special as it will spend it's life around pheasant pens and in woods. THe thing is that it seems hard to find anything for under £5-600. Too rich for me. I'm keeping my eyes on the for sale section here hoping for something around Edinburgh to pop up.

So, any reccommendations as to what gun to look for and, apart from on here, where to look.

Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers.

Cheers,

fraser

Edited by clueless1

Air arms S410 secondhand seems to fit the bill. PCP or pre-charge pneumatic is air powered but cannot be refilled from a compressor. The pressure inside is 180+ BAR so a bit more than a compressor can handle. They are normally filled from a diving bottle so that is another thing to buy. Powerwise, it will be 12ft/lb, the same as most air rifles. All this said, the difference between a springer and a PCP is staggering, accuracy is much better, they're quieter and most are multi-shot. The downside is having to refill the air chamber. Get yourself a decent second hand PCP and you wont look back. Good luck! :blush:

Hi, do youn really need a multishot gun? air arms s400 are good at £375 or if thats a little too expensive then the air arms s200 is £350.

BSA scorpions are nice guns and £380.

if you really want a multishot then new there going to cost you £500+

air arms s410

scorpion t10

falcon praires are top notch.

prechargered rifles rule in terms of accuracy but you have the additonal price of a diving bottle and gauge then which will end up £140+.

also, if its only rats and crows your after which are quite close range animals then why not go for a good spring airgun? just as powerful and cheaper than precharged. only problem is if you can achieve 1"groups at 40 yrds with a PCP then that may be reduced to 30 yrds with a spring airgun. spring airguns are powered by you pulling the barrel of then gun down which cocks the spring inside. this spring is attached to a piston in the action of the gun whicj when the trigger is release will shoot up and forcing a lot of air down the barrel. this will pick up the pellet. good springers are hw97k, hw77, hw90k, hw95k, webley stingrays II xs (these are top notch), air arms pro sport, air arms tx200 (nice but heavy) and bsa lighting xl's.