Airguns

Rabbitbowler

OR,

if your heartbeat is close to 50 you need to see a doctor - you are probably dying  :lol:  :(  B)  :lol:

The best you could hope for is to lower your heart rate to near your resting rate - in most adults this is taken between 60 and 70 beats per minute.  PP

Are you sure it's pigeons you are putting in your pies old bean :lol: not mixing a few magic mushrooms with it are you.

It's amazing what you can train your body to do, depends if you can be bothered, go and practice breathing and heart rate control and you'll see it can be done.

Suppose you are right in saying that i'm dieing, we all are, it's just a matter of time innit B)

I completely agree with Old Rooster and Devilish Dave. Any athlete or club runner will have a much lower heart rate than the average couch potato.

Edited by Evilv

In the airi rifle/rimfire debate, is it possible to get hollow point ammo for an air rifle.  As it is a legal requirement to use expanding ammunition on live quarry with a rim fire, I presume its the same with air rifles.

i think the main reason for that is that the reason for going FAC is to improve the hunting range of the rifle, but using the available hollow point pellets in an airgun, accuracy is effected a lot more. As well as airgun pellets weighing a lot less than a standard rimmie bullet . 25 grains would be a heavy pellet for FAC airguns, most would be happy with about 16.5 garins. have no idea what the average rimmie weighs but have been told about twice that of the airguns.

ROB :(

Hi,

I do not agree that going FAC with airguns just only is for longer range shooting. In many cases people that go the FAC way want more kill power out of their airguns - this is the main reason for going FAC.

About hollow pointed pellets. It is true to a certain degree that most airguns do not like such pellets and accuracy can suffer at longer shots than 30 yards. But in some rifles these pellets performs very hot and accuracy is not lost then you get over the 30 yards. Just take my airgun combination of my FAC airgun .25 and Bisley Pest control pellets - this combination can make 1" groups out to 60 yards on no windy days.

They are very excellent hunting pellets and they have made alot of clean kills of my quarry over the years.

About pellet weights. 25 grains may be heavy for some FAC guns but not for all. In this matter you have to work out precisely what you want your airgun system to do. The pellet weight should match the power of the airgun and if you do this correctly you will in many cases end up with a very flat shooting and accurate airgun. There is no doubt about, a least for FAC guns, that shooting a rather heavy pellet will give you the best accuracy there is plus it has alot of hit power for better kill performance on live quarry.

Just remember MOST if not ALL pellets when fired at ABOVE subsonic will suffer from accuracy issues and most of the light pellets will just deform.

If you want max power from a Air rifle you need a FAC so if you GET an FAC why not just go for a Rimmy or a HMR instead?

Saves all those expensive mods and FAC air rifles tend to lose their resale value too where a HMR or RIMMY will hold it's price better ???

Lord Geordie

sorry cant help doing this LOL but PCP rifles are incapable of projecting a pellet beyond the speed of sound, it may sound like they doing it but if you use a chrono a yard or so down range you will find it is no quiet breaking the barrier.

somthing to do with air not being able to expand at the speed of sound.

there is a rather reputable gun maker who has offered a prize to anyone who can provide eveidence over the chrono in his shop, of a PCP rifle with a velocity inexcess of 1200fps (1187 or what ever it is).

as far as im aware the only rifle out there capable of exceeding this magic barrier is the the0ben eliminator.

all the best

ROB :)

(ps got me pop corn and coke ready for this one ???)

sorry cant help doing this LOL but PCP rifles are incapable of projecting a pellet beyond the speed of sound, it may sound like they doing it but if you use a chrono a yard or so down range you will find it is no quiet breaking the barrier.

somthing to do with air not being able to expand at the speed of sound.

there is a rather reputable gun maker who has offered a prize to anyone who can provide eveidence over the chrono in his shop, of a PCP rifle with a velocity inexcess of 1200fps (1187 or what ever it is).

as far as im aware the only rifle out there capable of exceeding this magic barrier is the the0ben eliminator.

all the best

ROB :)

(ps got me pop corn and coke  ready for this one ???)

Hi,

This is totally cr*p to say. Off course PCP airguns can fire pellets that can break the sound barrier without any problems and so can springers too. All you have to do is to fire a low weight pellet through an airgun with sufficient power - thats all. Then you WILL break the sound barrier.

I don´t know where this theory about the PCP guns comes from but it is certainly cr*p. In this case I would certainly like to see some eveidence that this is true and if such eviedence is not put on the table no one should believe it. This case has absolutely nothing to do with what you have charged your PCP gun with (air or other gases) or how the air/gas perform then it compress or de-compress. This has something to do with what power level you have and what weight your object has then throwing/ejection - this is simple pure science, physics and math.

The main reason for keeping pellets and bullets fired from airguns down under the sound barrier is for the sake of accuracy and nothing else. Pellets that hit and break the sound barrier will start tumbling through the air and accuracy is lost because of this. Also bear in mind that pellets and bullets fired from airguns is not aerodynamic shaped enough to deal with supersonic flight and therefor the best accuracy and long distance shots are best made in subsonic conditions.

Out from my own experience with airguns I will say that if you want the flattest trajectory with airguns and hopeful the best accuracy you should fire heavy weight pellets just below 1000 fps, actually from around 900 fps to 1000 fps. If you go much over the 1000 fps the pellet will start to shake because you are now getting rather close to the sound barrier and accuracy will begin to suffer. If you go much under the 900 fps limit you will start to get a bowed trajectory of the pellet flight.

I certainly hope the above text have helped a bit understanding the things. Don´t believe every story you are hearing out there.

Cheers - Bolta

Edited by BOLTA

The main reason for keeping pellets and bullets fired from airguns down under the sound barrier is for the sake of accuracy and nothing else. Pellets that hit and break the sound barrier will start tumbling through the air and accuracy is lost because of this. Also bear in mind that pellets and bullets fired from airguns is not aerodynamic shaped enough to deal with supersonic flight and therefor the best accuracy and long distance shots are best made in subsonic conditions.

This is why .22lr target load is kept down belwo the speed of sound. It is fantastically accurate. The shuttle cock shape of air rifle amunition is designed to stabilise a slow spinning projectile. Taking such a shaped projectile above the sound barrier would radically effect the accuracy of the pellet and rifle combination.

Edited by Evilv