Which fac Bennelli?

tasum

I'm in the market for an fac Benelli in 12g, r/h.

I thought that a nice synthetic M2 would be just right.

Should I go for an older M1 instead? If I get an M2 what barrel length woud be best? Is the M4 worth the extra?

If I got the standard model (2+1) would it be expensive to add a longer tube later?

I plan to use it for vermin and birds, maybe even the odd clay day.

If anyone has a decent Benelli near to West Yorks they want to shift please let me know.

Thanks in advance for all your advice. :hmm:

Hi there, i started a topic on benelli semi's a little while back.

the general concensus was that the M2 was a half decent gun, one fella said his was a royal pain in the backside.

Ihave an M3 which isn't that reliable, but they're all fussy with cartridges.

The M4 is a different kettle of fish tho as its gas assisted and not like its predecessors which were inertia driven, maybe benelli have finally realised that there were problems with the old ones and come up with something new.

still overpriced tho and i think the mag extension tubes are about £80.

I have a 10+1 M2 and like Hodmedod I can’t fault it, it cycles everything I’ve put in it from soft-lad 21gr #8 to beast 50gr #1. Theres a million ‘go faster’ bits available for them if that’s your thing but the standard gun is still good.

The M2 is just an updated M1, the main difference being the Comfortec stock which really does reduce recoil. And as many of the gas system obsessive’s will point out the inertia system does not dampen recoil aswell as a gas piston but then the extra time I’m at the dentist getting my teeth fixed they have to use cleaning their guns! :hmm:

I would STRONGLY recommend you get the short magazine version which is actually 3+1, as it makes adding the magazine extensions far easier. If you get the long mag version (7+1 I think), you have to saw off the longer mag before you can screw on the bigger mag extensions.

If you ever intend on using it for PSG I’d recommend the 24” barrel but if its solely for clays and birds the 26” or even 28” barrel may help with your swing.

The M4 (as far as I’m aware) isn’t available in the UK, as because of its sliding stock it does not conform to our 24”/40” regs.

The only complaint I’ve had about the M2 is the carrier plate which as Hodmedod says can give you the infamous ‘Benelli pinch’ if you don’t watch what you’re doing, however this can be rectified by an after market replacement, which mine thankfully now has!

Mark

Edited by Breastman

Theres no restrictions in PSG for barrel length etc, but because you want the fastest pointing gun possible 24" is the ideal (well it would be shorter than that but we're not allowed 'short' barrels on semi's so 24" is the best option we've got :rolleyes: )

My barrel is the 24" one. I did have a 12 bore spare barrel on my FAC as i planned on buying a 28" barrel for vermin/clays but i've not had any trouble with the one i've got (just use a tighter choke) so i recently varied that for a moderater. Plus spare barrels are £480 :)

I got the short mag version, added a 6rd Nordic Components extension tube which took it to 9+1, then i got an extended end cap for the magazine which just allows me 10+1 with most 70mm cartridges. I'll post a picture if i get time tonight. Apologies for the c r @ p picture quality, i had to use my phone!

Mark

post-13495-1258053060.jpg

Edited by Breastman

I'm following this thread with interest, as I'll be in the market for a left handed semi shortly, and everything seems to be pointing towards a Benelli. I'd be interested to know the ease of transferring one from SCG to FAC (both the paperwork side, and the mechanical side) as it might be that I would buy the SGC version and have it modified later under FAC if that is feasable. Tasum, I am in West Yorks also, so if you find anywhere in the region to try one out, please let me know and I'll take a look. Many thanks

Tuck

Theres no restrictions in PSG for barrel length etc, but because you want the fastest pointing gun possible 24" is the ideal (well it would be shorter than that but we're not allowed 'short' barrels on semi's so 24" is the best option we've got :good: )

My barrel is the 24" one. I did have a 12 bore spare barrel on my FAC as i planned on buying a 28" barrel for vermin/clays but i've not had any trouble with the one i've got (just use a tighter choke) so i recently varied that for a moderater. Plus spare barrels are £480 :rolleyes:

I got the short mag version, added a 6rd Nordic Components extension tube which took it to 9+1, then i got an extended end cap for the magazine which just allows me 10+1 with most 70mm cartridges. I'll post a picture if i get time tonight. Apologies for the c r @ p picture quality, i had to use my phone!

Mark

Thanks Mark

I'm gonna go for a 26" M2. I'll keep my eyes out for a s/h one and I've made some calls on a new one.

Thanks for the info it's helped me make my decision. You 've got a lovely looking shottie m8. :rolleyes:

:blink: