h. clark and son hammer gun

rough shoot

H Clarke & Sons, 20 Halford St Leicester but they wouldn't have been at that address when that gun made.

Watch those barrels, you say they are Damascus but more likely they are Birmingham made laminate and definitely not safe to shoot with modern cartridges. If you want to use it get it checked out by a proper gunsmith.

I have an Clarke boxlock, tried several times but couldn't find anything on the company at all. Along the rib, mine is engraved with 'H Clarke & Sons, Midland Gun Works, Leicester' so I imagine Clarke had strong links with the Midland firm. Try emailing Shooting Times?

Try the Internet Gun Club online which for a small subscription, has quite a bit of historical information on this manufacturer (I have checked on there already).

As regards Damascus, try this website for more information;

http://www.damascusknowledge.com-a.googlepages.com/home

I have a Damascus barrelled (two iron Damascus) hammergun from 1870 in excellent condition and which has been 2007 nitro reproofed for 2 3/4 inch loads. Have not had any issues with modern cartridges to date, albeit I clearly had barrel thickness checked before purchase.