Lamping Light Idea,

Salop Matt

Is there anyone out there that uses a vehicle mounted work light when out lamping ? If so how do you use it and what tasks for ?

I have been given 2 good 12v work lights with fag lighter plugs on them, both have good long curled cables on them and 1 is suction mount and the other mag mount. Iv not done much lamping from a vehicle to date ( normally on foot) so still a bit like a pig with a shovel when it comes to positioning myself in the seat to take the shot . How ever one of these work lights i have has a bit of a melted lense on it. Having seen a link to a site that sells 3mm and 5 mm red transparent plastic / acrilic sheets at £2.50 for a peice big enough to cover the front of the lamp it got me thinking ! I could buy a peice of this 5mm red transparent plastic and make me a new red lense for the lamp that has a melted lense. I will check the bulb inside before use as i suspect its to powerfull hense the current lense state.

I plan to use it for my lamping and set it up so the centre of its beam shines 50 yards out ( this is my zero point for both my HMR and .22lr) and will shine to the left to where is ideal and comfy for me to shoot from (in the passenger seat) which should help the driver to line up me and the vehicle make taking the shot easyr ! But will continue to also use a handheld light force with red filter for when the move out of my mounted lights beem ! what do you think ?

Hopefully you can understand my woffling and its not to confusing !

Alex we currently swing the vehicle side on and the driver holds out the hand held lamp onto the bunny but if the rabbit runs further round to the left the driver is having to shine across the wind screen making alot of red glare into the vehicle ! So am trying to make work as a bight of a sighing / aiming tool for the driver for the intial setup !

PS. am right handed so from the passenger seat its a right pig ! The vehicle is a freelander. I thought about the back seat behind the driver but i cant help but think the wing mirror may be in the way and i would still beturned awkward in the seat !

Edited by salop sniper

you could get a gun mounted lamp to make it a bit easier for the driver,he spots then gets in postion his lamp goes off and then you shine your lamp and the driver then can see where he needs to be for your shooting position.

takes a bit of practice to get it right.

if your a leftie,then try sitting behind the driver if you think it is awkward but,makes sure he keeps his hands in the cab.

do you have the wndows fully down? try putting pipe lagging on a partially closed window as a rest for your rifle,it may make it easier.

al

Edited by albob

if you're a leftie you're fine from the passenger side. all takes a bit of getting used to but if you are finding the rest insufficient try looking for a window shooting bag, also though you have these lights a decent lightforce you'll be spotting rabbits at over 100 yards meaning they don't tend to move and give you more ability to get into position