Reconditioning my stock

burntout

Picked up my first shotty (Eiber 12b sxs ejector) on Sat courtesy of Rover (on this forum) and am very happy with it. Shoots and ejects fine, the metal is in lovely condition and barrels appear spot on, not to mention it fits fantastically - falls straight to eye when I shoulder it so happy days all round.

The only thing that was lacking was a consistent finish on the wood. The foregrip had been varnished as had the wood behind the action, with the remainder of the stock having been oiled which I suspect was the original finish.

After getting it home I assessed the situation and a trip to BandQ and Norfolk Sporting Guns soon followed.

Equipment -

Varnish remover

Super / Ultra fine sanding sponge

Fine wire wool

Cheap paint brush

White spirit

Dust cloth

Kitchen roll

Rubber gloves

Stock oil (unbranded from NSG - linseed based I gather)

Some pics of the woodwork before - note the scratches and worn varnish...

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

Little peak inside -

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

First job was to strip the varnish off. Applied the stripper with the old paintbrush and left for around 30 mins. I only applied it to the areas where it was obvious as I didn't know what might happen to the wood. After 30 mins I removed it with the wire wool and an old toothbrush. Cleaned with white spirit and repeated until I was happy.

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

I then broke the iron out and used the old "wet tea towel" trick to get the majority of the scratches and marks out. A couple were too deep and I left some smaller ones for character. I applied some glue from the inside of the action to stop that hairline crack in its tracks.

I then proceeded to commence sanding with the sanding sponge until I had a nice uniform surface.

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

I then removed the dust and cleaned it again with a little white spirit before applying the oil by hand in thin coats allowing a couple of hours before wiping it down (before going tacky) and applying again.

First coat still wet -

IMG_0158.jpg

the nearly finished stock as it was after around 4 coats of oil. I have since added further coats and its got darker still. It's darker now in the flesh than in the photo.

I hope you'll agree it's an improvement and you can now see the grain running through the chequering on the grip. :lol: I'll get one of it complete on here tomorow!

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

Edited by burntout

Very nice job there.

If I ever summon up the courage to unscrew the screws on my AYA I will take a look at this helpful post. I'd stain the wood a bit darker first though. It's good to have before & after pictures up.

Thanks for posting this.

I spoke to the smithy and he told me how - seems they are all pretty much for muchness. The only tricky screw was the one under the lever as you have to hold that back. you will also need thin tiped screw drivers as standard ones are a little thick to use on the smaller screws.

Nice. Quite fancy trying to do that myself.

Just got to find a suitably cheap SBS to practice on :D

there was one such project in the for sale I noticed yesterday for £100. Dont get much cheaper than that if you still want a decent action. :|

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...