Setting snares next to a footpath

Doc Holliday

After aquiring a new (and my first) permission from a customer to control rabbit numbers in their garden, I was walking around the perimeter of their grounds to assess where to set snares. Part of their land has a footpath running alongside it (the footpath divides them from the neighbours) and is fenced with the standard stock fencing. Seeing that there were some pretty obvious runs through the fence I though that this would be a good site to set some snares, using the fence as an anchor. After a bit of thought, I thought I'd better check if there are any issues in relation to setting snares right next to a footpath.

I would have thought that if breakaway snares were used there would be no problem or maybe there is no problem anyway using standard snares. Either way, I didn't want to run the risk of bringing something down on me or my permission without checking some facts first. As always, any advice/knowledge from those in the know would be most gratefully received.

Doc.

Thanks Apache, and I agree. But the footpath really is very seldom used and at this time of year I was thinking of setting the snares late afternoon and then checking them at first light the following day. The other factor is that the warren is about 15 - 20 from the footpath/boundary. I have also posted a topic in general shooting matters as to the legality of using an air rifle close to a footpath. I know a lot of it is common sense but the way this is set out, it makes it very tricky indeed to either shoot or snare the *******. There is a pond on the other side of the warren so it really is a bit of head scratcher as to how to deal ith them.

I have thought about getting someone in with ferrets but there are a lot of trees in the area and they wouldn't be able to dig out the ferrets should it come to it. Anyhow, I'm sure a solution will present itself.

Thanks & regards,

Doc.

P.S. I take it by a drop trap you mean a live catch type set up?

Edited by Doc Holliday

These are commercially made drop traps http://www.rabbittrap.co.uk/ but you can make one out of metal or wood.

Basically find a gap in the fence, dig trap in. FIX trapdoor for a week or two until they become confident and they use the passage then un fix the trapdoor and they fall into the bottom box. You have to check regularly and dispatch caught rabbits. A farmer I know once caught 200+ rabbits in a night (he leave them in place all the time and sets them and takes a big load to the game dealers every now and again).

You need to block other holes in the fence so they use your 'easy hole'

Does that make sense?

are they getting under or through the fence, if through, then drop traps are ideal, but some cheap small mesh to put over the larger holes, you want to encourage the rabbits to pass through where you want them, then as already mention, put a drop trap or two in

if your not good at woodork and unable to build your own,

you can buy from sxenviromental, but cost is high, £98 ish or £118 ish with locking cover

failing that, pm me, I have 3 galvenised tops, that just need wooded bottoms added to them, yours at a very resonable price